Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Wild Type Breeders/Hobbyists out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Wild Type Breeders/Hobbyists out there?

I have been fascinated by the 'wild' types and have wanted to give them a shot. Are there any members breeding them here? I have read quite a bit over the various different species, but someone having some experience with them would certainly be preferred. I'm interested in Betta albimarginata, Betta channoides, and some of the other similar species. I have seen a few Imbellens, but not sure how much they differ from the Splendens, anyone kept them?
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

On and off
    most of my experience has been with small mouthbrooders.
    Flax & picta ~ but I no longer keep them as I need all my space for HM & DT Splendens.
    There may be some wild entries at the IBC show in TexasCity on 3/20

Imbellis is very similar to splendens except they come from murkey water and have more irridescence in their scales. They have been bred to splendens and hybreds are now very common ~ usually called Dragons.
    Last edited by PhishPhreek; 02-10-2010, 08:46 PM.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have Macrostoma. :) I haven't bred them yet, but hopefully one day. I've really gotten interested in "wild" types lately, but I just don't have much room right now.
      So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

I appreciate all the input, hopefully I am in for that show in March (14 days on/14days off). I'd certainly like to give them a shot, I figured there was a few fellow aquarists with some exp. and could help in choosing/selecting a good first choice for them.

The Imbellens sounds good, if I spot them again I'll certainly snatch them up. Can you keep them in basically the same conditions as Splendens? I have a few 1 gallon glass cubes (Old Orchid containers) I'd like to work with. I usually use Ghost shrimp (cherries get eaten up) and stock with Java fern & moss. Would that set up work with Imbellens? I know the others would require a dedicated species tank, perhaps if my Killifish luck runs foul, lol.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Most wilds require soft acid water ~ R/O water & 6.5 pH
          I have some Foerschi & Chloropharynx in a planted comunity tank with guppies.
          I just replace the guppies every month.

Any Imbellis you find are more than likely tank raised and can survive in our tap water, and you should be able to keep them in a comunity tank. But if you want to breed them you will need a seperate spawn tank.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I think if I were to go with any of the wild types I'd certainly put them in my 10 gallon planted tank (ph - 6.5), I have a splendens in a cube already and have a few more I'd like to occupy. I just do big water changes every 2 weeks with distilled water. I spotted a few Imbellis up at Fish Gallery a few months back and he said they keep get them in fairly regularly. I'll shoot up there next week while I'm in and see if they have some. If so I'll post up some pics of them all.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

Working...
            X