Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reintroducing an Aggressive Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reintroducing an Aggressive Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami?

Hello everybody, my name is Rock am new to the box. Have 4ftL 60gal tank, new to aquariums in general.

Inherited some platies that just finished reproducing I think there are roughly 15 of them now + 8 zebra danios, 7 otocats, 8 glass shrimp and a dwarf gourami.

I had originally picked up 4 Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami’s; after a few days in the tank one of them, started going after the rest. (most colorful out of the bunch) Before I knew it I had 2 DG’s left, and one had a pretty good gash along its side just aft of its gills/side fin. The colorful agressor kept nipping at the wound so I removed the aggressor to a smaller tank/bowl and left the injured fish in the tank. The injured fish has been healing up.

I recently removed the injured fish and re introduced the aggressor. The aggressor has not been going after any other fish so far.

Reading more about the Dwarf Gourami’s it seems like the injured fish, the lightest / least colorful of the bunch could be a female? This explains the infighting? I would like to add the fish back into the tank, what would the best course of action be, getting some other females in there first?

Ph 7.5
    Amonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate ~15 ppm

The tank is currently planted with some amazon swords, a moss ball, dwarf baby tears, new zealand micro swords and some brown algea. have some driftwood, petrified wood and a holey piece of limestone in there; the substrate is gravel that came with the tank second hand, and running a magnum 330 filter. ph is around 7.5. No CO2 yet dosing with flourish excel and potassium. Lighting is t5, 2 bulb overhead total to 72watt, 26000K.

Sounds like you have a young male that is interested in breeding. They spawn much like bettas. If you plan to keep both male & female in a comunity tank you will need lots of places for her to hide. More plants or caves etc. If you can't see her then he can't. If you want to breed them then him in the smaller tank (10g ?) also with hiding places, provide a nest protector, place her in a jar in the tank and slowly raise the temp to 80f. If he builds a nest, you can release her.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks for the advice PhishPhreek.

Unfortunately the aggressive fish died. Not sure what happened, maybe stress? When I got home from work yesterday I found the aggressive fish dead at the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Working...
      X