0 Nitrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0 Nitrate?

Tested both tanks just now. Both tanks tested to have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 Nitrate? Can I really have 0 nitrates? Last WC was 50% on Saturday?

How many fish and how many plants do you have in the tanks?
    Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
    • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
    • 29g Planted - Journal
    • 29g Planted
    • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Yes it is possible

from what I understand and I could be wrong
      is that most of it resides in your filter media or bio and that little of it is in the water.

Pm Muzung maybe she can ex plane better but I get the same readings sometimes on my tanks.
      Tropheus Elitist Maximus
      150 Troph & Petro mix Link
      ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
      ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

No plants. Both tanks have 30 to 40 Troph's!

Comment

Doesn't sound right to me. Not with that many fish and no plants. How long have the tanks been running?
          Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
          • 29g Planted
          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

The 156 gal about two months. 180 gal two weeks. I do use Seachem's Stability-perhaps that somehow changes the test chemicals? Both tanks have good filtration. Both have w/d's and FX5's-

Comment

Stability might be the cause, but I don't know what's in the stuff.

I'd just keep testing until you get stable readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrates that increase over time between water changes. Only then can you be certain the tanks have truly cycled.
              Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
              • 29g Planted
              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

could be the test kit, how old is it?
                25g - Reef
                3.5g - Surge Tank
                10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Did you shake the nitrate bottles before added it to the water?
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Ahhhhhhh, myjohnson sounds like I found the problem? I do remember now that it does say to shake the Nitare chemical bottle before adding to water!!! I forgot about that? Will try again tonite with shaking and we will see what we get?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawsman View Post
                      Ahhhhhhh, myjohnson sounds like I found the problem? I do remember now that it does say to shake the Nitare chemical bottle before adding to water!!! I forgot about that? Will try again tonite with shaking and we will see what we get?
                      That's a common mistake with the AP test kit. I did that the first time I used one, then read the directions because I knew there was no way I had 0 nitrates in the tank.

Mark
                      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Finally solved my mystery too. I have never gotten any nitrates in my tanks that I know are properly cycled.

Thanks for posting that MJ.
                        Jarrod - Houston, Texas
                        150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
                        17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
                        5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
                        3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Yeah, according to instructions with the AP Nitrate test kit, bottle with solution #2 should be shaken for 1 minute.
                          150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                          125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                          115G Tanganyikan

Comment

Yep, this issue resolved. Used AP test kit as directed, got a 5 on Nitrate's.

Comment

Very low!

Seems like you been keeping up with your water changes.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X