Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting fish for sport

Originally posted by PhishPhreek View Post
    I keep bettas, I breed bettas, I show bettas and most of all I like to talk bettas. I can hear the word betta wispered from across the pet store and like the cartoons ............................... zip I'm standing there.

I usually shop in LFS that have great people and I never want to step on their toes bucause I'll be back and they'll still be there.

I hate to answer questions about disease because most of the time even the most expensive meds won't save them.... you have to catch it early and have the meds in your first aid kit.

I agree that other that a short answer to clear up a misunderstanding, the best thing you can do is send them to the Box. I have tried leaving BettaHabari Business Cards at the Betta Bowels in many LFS but they usually get cleaned away in a week or two.
    Speaking of bettas, and expanding on Traci's topic...

What is with the growing number of youtube videos showing two aggressive fish being put into a tiny bowl to battle to the death?

I understand all creatures need to eat, but two male bettas (as an example) in a small bowl has nothing to do with feeding. May as well be **** fighting in my opinion.

Some of these youtube posters even seem to be drawing a list of subscribers. It is really sickening. I am troubled by the fact that this seems to be the next "in" thing to do.

I don't know if it is possible to educate these people or if ignoring them is the best thing to do.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

I realize we are getting off topic here and this part of the thread should be moved to a more logical location, but I feel a need to reply.

The International Betta Congress does not sanction fighting bettas.
    We breed for beauty.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

For clarification, I am not speaking specifically about bettas. I was just using them as an example. Also, I hope I was clear in stating that I don't condone this sort of thing.

In the videos I am seeing, this is being done primarily for entertainment value and not for feeding purposes. These people seem to take great joy in watching these sometimes extremely violent feedings.

I understand the laws of nature and the survival of the fittest. Putting a small fish in a tank with a large fish for the purpose of feeding I can understand. That said, I would probably choose to feed by other means.
      Jarrod - Houston, Texas
      150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
      17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
      5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
      3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

fighting Bettas is a local tradition in many countries ... kinda like **** fighting. it has nothing to do with feeding. This practice is widely acceptable in those countries and purely for entertainment, gambling and such ... Unfortunately they dont have an ASPCA thing, hell, they dont even any laws forbidding animal fighting.
        My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Comment

So whats with the cage fighting (UFC among others), boxing, or even football?

Some are going to say....but they don't fight until the death.

Google any of the above with the word death and you will fine that there has been deaths in all three.

I understand the argument for and against it but there are alot bigger and more pressing social issues.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I don't deny that I have a morbid curiosity about these things, but I can't say I would condon animal fighting. I'm Asian, and where my dad grew up fighting birds was a social event. In many Asian countries fighting fish is a social event. I guess, I'd have to judge things based on the social norms of that culture and country. I was raised American, so I've got my own value set. I'm not too thrilled at the thought of two animals in a confined place without any understanding of why they are gonna try to kill one another, vs human beings in a sport who have a good idea they may get hurt and perhaps unintentinally kill one another. Having been in a ring many times myself, I can say it was never fun to get hit, but I had a choice to end the fight at anytime. However, if it were not for fish fighting, I'm sure we would not have many of our beautiful varieties of bettas. Just food for thought.
            Emerald Green Rainbowfish
            Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Sorry but I think only a closed minded person would bring up this kinda argument.

Comment

Working...
              X