Betta bowl temp in the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta bowl temp in the winter

How do you keep the temp in your betta bowls warm in the winter?

We don't run our heater...like ever. With all these tanks, it stays humid enough in the house to make the cold manageable with slippers and a sweatshirt...plus the dry air messes with my sinuses. Anyway, I don't worry about the tanks because they have heaters, but I do have some concern for the betta bowls.

What do you do to keep them warm?
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

I keep mine in the bedroom, our bedroom is like a sauna with the other tanks running and it's the warmest room in the house so the tank stays warm. Otherwise I guess you could put it on top of an electronic device such as the tv, computer etc. though I don't know how stable the temp would be. When our betta was in the livingroom he had a little heater in the tank.
    Karen

Comment

They do sell those little mini heaters for tiny tanks, or you could place the bowls on a small heating pad, but with no filtration I'm not sure if it would work too well. Good question!

Do you have a thermometer you could use to take each tank's temp?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

float the bowl in one of your heated tanks?

Comment

Right now they are sitting on the canopy of one of the tanks in the living room. I just checked the temp and they are reading 70 degrees.

I have a couple of those tiny tank heaters, but I have 4 betta bowls. And there isn't a way to control the temp with those and they make me nervous.

I may just have to start moving them around the house to find a warmer room.

I like the idea of floating them in another tank, but I think they would tip.
          Our Fishhouse

Comment

Do you guys have any tanks in which a betta would survive for the winter? Like your planted tank? Or would they be considered food?

Just thinking maybe you could move one or two, and then you wouldn't have to relocate as many to different, warmer areas of the house.

Are they all males?

Comment

P.S. If you don't find a solution and are really worried about them, they are welcome to overwinter at our house.

Comment

3 males, 1 female. Not a bad idea...I might be able to find a 'winter home' for a couple of them. I have a 20 gallon tank that has gobies and badis...runs about 76 - 78 degrees and it's planted. And a 29 gallon with guppies and 1 pea puffer. It's also planted, so maybe another one in there? I also have a 5 gallon, but it's full of peacock gudgeon fry which I'm pretty sure would be food for the bettas, so that's a no-go for now.
                Our Fishhouse

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                  P.S. If you don't find a solution and are really worried about them, they are welcome to overwinter at our house.
                  Thank you!! I will definitely let you know what I end up doing. Yeah...we don't spoil our fish...
                  Our Fishhouse

Comment

I think one would do great in the 20g and another in the 29g. They'll love it!

And yeah, gotta ask you later about those Peacock gudgeons! Wow!

You are very welcome. Please let me know.

What does "spoil" mean?

Comment

if any of the bowls have lips around the top you could use a jug knot - number 11 on this page
                      or maybe a barrel hitch - number 4 on the page.
                      layhands.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, layhands.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I used a variation of the jug knot to hang alcohol bottles from the ceiling in college... hmmm it would be cool to do some hanging fish jars...

Comment

Nope, no lip on the bowls. But I do like #4. I'm gonna have to find a reason to try out some of these knots. Cool link!
                        Our Fishhouse

Comment

Got a lot of small betta tanks and no heat ? Here are 4 heating options

1. 20 by 48 seed mat - http://homeharvest.com/propagationaids.htm

2. Hydrokable wire- routed board - 100W for 2 by 4 with thermostat
                          http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+11148+11527&pcatid=11527

( I bought the 100W with thermostat )

3. Repti Heat Cable- use with wire rack-
                          http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/16290/product.web

4. Flexwatt tape you must construct yourself ..
                          http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=6133349.7493&product=Heating&xm= oncart_id=6055985.26731&product=Heating&user4=Flexwa tt

and then there is always the incandescent light bulb.
                          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

You are so awesome, PP. :)
                            Our Fishhouse

Comment

In case of a power outage, you can always put your betta in a styrafoam coffee cup or thermos bottle.
                              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                              X