Fishes of Burundi - Interview excerpt - Pondraised Tropheus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishes of Burundi - Interview excerpt - Pondraised Tropheus

This is a exceprt from a interview Mireille Schreyen (Pierre Brichard's daughter)who operates the facility since her father's death. The interview is from March of 1999

For many years, you started in the breeding cichlids in outdoor pools. What you fish reproduce (which breeds Tropheus example) and in what quantities?

"De manière régulière nous reproduisons en continu une soixantaine d'espèces ou races différentes parmis lesquelles: 20 races de Tropheus(le Tropheus brabant indigène du Burundi n'étant pas reproduit, mais récolté dans le lac) en plus de cela nous reproduisons des Cyphotilapia, des Ophtalmotilapia, des Petrochromis et une douzaine d'espèces de poissons du Malawi. "

Google Translation:
    On a regular basis we reproduce a continuous sixty different species or races among which: 20 breeds of Tropheus (Tropheus brabant the native of Burundi are not reproduced, but collected from the lake) on top of that we reproduce the Cyphotilapia, of Ophtalmotilapia, the Petrochromis and a dozen species of fish from Malawi.

"Les Tropheus reproduits sont en vedette l'Orange de Bemba, le Kaiser Kiriza, le Moliro, le Kirshfleck, le Red Rainbow, le Papagay (Tropheus du groupe Rainbow, venant du sud de la Tanzanie. Nous avons acheté nos reproducteurs à un importateur Allemand voici quelques années), Duboisi d'Uvira, le Murago, en plus de cela, Karamba, Kipili, Kongole, Moba, Zongwe, Kavala, Canary Cheek, Green (vient de la péninsule de l'Ubwari, face Est, il cohabite avec le Tropheus Karamba depuis Muzimu jusqu'a Karamba. Et, phénomène assez rare, il existe dans le lac des Karamba et des Green pur,mais également des hybrides des deux, ce qui donne un Tropheus assez peu stable dans ses colorations, certains très beau pratiquement rayés vert et rouge.Les reproducteurs ont été récolté par nous même), Kanyosha, Mwerazi, Yellow de Mboko et Lupota."

Google Translation:
    The Tropheus are reproduced featured the Orange Bemba, the Kaiser Kiriza, the Moliro, the Kirshfleck(Cherry Spot), Red Rainbow, the Papagay (Rainbow Tropheus group, from southern Tanzania. We bought our breeding a German importer few years ago), Dubois Uvira, the Murago, in addition to that, Karamba, Kipili, Kongola, Moba, Zongwe, Kavala, Canary Cheek, Green (just the Ubwari peninsula, facing east, it coexists with Tropheus from the Karamba Karamba Muzimu up. And rare phenomenon, it exists in Lake Karamba Green and Clean, but also hybrids of both, giving a little Tropheus fairly stable in its coloring, some very fine almost striped green and rouge.Les breeders were raised by us), Kanyosha Mwerazi, Yellow Mboko, and Lupota.

The full interview link:
    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Couple of things in this interview that strike me...

1. The Rutunga (brabant) Red Saddles are wild caught all the other Tropheus are pondraised or from other importers breeding stocks. Not sure if this means the adults Rutunga are wild caught, and then the fry are pondraised, or if the rutunga fry are wildcaught. Interesting to know this though...

2. The open admission to making hybrid Tropheus to enhance color.

This statement really bothers me.

Golden Bemba, Stardust Bemba, Super Red Karamba, Golden Kiriza, Albino Kipili are just a few that I am aware of.

In the last 10 years, Kiriza, which used to be pure yellow, now has splashes of red in it. Bemba's that used to be pure red, now have some yellow in them. Wonder where the culls went while they were developing thier hybrid colonies and bloodlines? Well there you go...there's your answer in my opinion...
    Last edited by geoff_tropheus; 12-02-2009, 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I don't think it's a big secret that fishes of burundi have pond raised tropheus. Even still, people on other tropheus forums think it's not cost effective and there is no such thing.

What's more interesting to me is the long term effects to the gene pool of these fishes. I also wonder if importers are buying these fishes as pond raised fishes and selling them off as WC. I understand the latter issue may never be answer.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

man... save about 15gs and go on vacation there and get the info first hand and take lots of pictures.....
        Tropheus Elitist Maximus
        150 Troph & Petro mix Link
        ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
        ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

It has been well known for years that Toby Veal "Rift Valley Tropicals" and the Brichard Family "Burundi Farms" has been pondraising many tanganyikan fishes.

What bothers me is exaclty what Thai has said, so many importers buy the pondraised fish and call them F1 or even wildcaught when they are nothing at all like that.

I also think a number of them, are just ignorant to the facts, and say, "Oh...yeah this fish came from Africa, therefore its wild caught."

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
            I don't think it's a big secret that fishes of burundi have pond raised tropheus. Even still, people on other tropheus forums think it's not cost effective and there is no such thing.

What's more interesting to me is the long term effects to the gene pool of these fishes. I also wonder if importers are buying these fishes as pond raised fishes and selling them off as WC. I understand the latter issue may never be answer.
            I'm beginning to think it is very cost effective to dump a bunch of fish into a pond built on dirtcheap land and tended to by dirt cheap labor. There are no child labour laws afterall, nor insurance, income tax or 401K to match. Most of those folks over there make the equivalent to 1 Amercian dollar a week. The volume with which they deal seems like it will ensure a profit.

I wonder, like you Thai, how varied and therefore strong the genetic pool is for the PR's. I mean really...do they get all of the fry out of the pond, do they strip the females and grow out the fry or what? The genetic variation sounds static to me. How often do they replenish the breeders with new bloodlines or do they just allow some of the fry to grow out?

The hybridizing to "enhance" colour is alarming to me, too. I mean how cavalier of them to think they should tinker with mother nature... It wouldn't be a big deal if it were common knowledge, and people could chose between Brichard made or Nature made. For the amount of money most of us plunk down, and based on the frowned upon practise of allowing hybrid fry in our own colonies, I wonder what people would choose if they knew what they were buying? Just because people come from an illustrious family doesn't mean that what they're doing now wouldn't disgust the illustrious ancestor. I am not implying that they are doing anything disgusting, please note this. I am just saying that it doesn't pay to trust someone just because they share genes with a person who was greatly respected and ground breaking to a particular field. My motto "Question Authority" bleeds into all people, not just the cops and the government. LOL

I think we would be quite naive to believe that every fish we buy that is touted as WC actually IS WC. I am not implying bald face deception on every dealer's part, or every importer's part, but I know human nature, and I know that avarice will win the day for most people and they will tell you whatever you want to hear in order to make the sale.

I look forward to reading everyone's ideas! This will be very interesting...

All the best,
            Jenney.
            Question Authority.
            75- WC Ilangi, S. tinanti, N. brevis
            55- Grow-out- T. brichardi namansi, S. babaulti.

Comment

Originally posted by gotticgs View Post
              man... save about 15gs and go on vacation there and get the info first hand and take lots of pictures.....
              More doable then most think. Mark Young and those guys from Oz tried to set up a vacation trip where they would collect tropheus and Mark would ship it back to Oz for them. It never happen cause Mark couldn't get the lience need to get the fishes into Oz.

I'll ask Mark if he could do something like this for us, if you guys are for real about going.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

There are lots of problems in Africa with infrastructure. In the cichlid forum there is a like 100 page thread from Mark where he has posted all kinds of pictures and made comments about what he has seen lakeside. One of his biggest complaints was that no one really had the infrastructure to support large breeding facilities. He did say that some might be raising some variants, but not all of them.

There is even a Konnings article where he writes that Toby Veal and he went and collected over 600 Maswa for a breeding operation to be setup on one trip alone. So there is no doubt that certain variants are pond raised over there and I am sure there has been made more than one trip for other more popular variants.

During the huge fuel crunch it was almost impossible to get fuel into Zambia where they were at without paying large inflated prices. There is barely even dirt roads to some places along the lake, little else stable electrical power. In the more largely poplulated areas like Bujumbura, Kigoma, and such there are facilities for this.

One of my personal complaints on the pondraised fish is exactly what Jenney has stated about bloodlines and making sure that quality fish is preserved and not all these mutants. Not to mention what culls from their hybrid program were properly disposed and culled out.

Sad, as it is, ... its economics and no loss of respect for what is natural. Some of the most beautiful things in life are what is simply pure and natural.

Comment

Who wants to come with me? I would love to do a trip and they are only about 5K. Of course I want to get scuba certified first so I can really enjoy it.
                  300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
                  225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
                  210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
                  160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
                  90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
                  90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

5k WHAT?
                    Tropheus Elitist Maximus
                    ** T.Zongwe**

Comment

Malawi and some community S.A.'s are inner-bred to death to support pet-store consumer demand. Why doesn't anyone care?

Discus have been hybridized to death to produce different colors. Why doesn't anyone care?

I'm just looking for the answer to the double standard wild caught Trophs are held to, versus other fish, or pets in general for that matter - like my dog.
                      Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Originally posted by jeebus View Post
                        Malawi and some community S.A.'s are inner-bred to death to support pet-store consumer demand. Why doesn't anyone care?

Discus have been hybridized to death to produce different colors. Why doesn't anyone care?

I'm just looking for the answer to the double standard wild caught Trophs are held to, versus other fish, or pets in general for that matter - like my dog.

its the elitest factor
                        FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

5k WHAT?
                          When Ad goes he usually takes a few people with him. The breeder that I got my RRs from has actually gone with Ad. He had some awesome pictures from the week long dive and stay. I was looking for the information to verify, but if I remember correctly it is only about 5K or less round trip (staying for about a week). They actually stayed at Toby's place.
                          300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
                          225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
                          210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
                          160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
                          90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
                          90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

Originally posted by ddaquaria View Post
                            When Ad goes he usually takes a few people with him. The breeder that I got my RRs from has actually gone with Ad. He had some awesome pictures from the week long dive and stay. I was looking for the information to verify, but if I remember correctly it is only about 5K or less round trip (staying for about a week). They actually stayed at Toby's place.

hummmmm.....

time to talk to the treasury department
                            Tropheus Elitist Maximus
                            ** T.Zongwe**

Comment

Like anything else, I like to know what I'm buying.
                              If I like the look of a fish and someone is sellling it as a WC Texas Titty Twister, it had better BE a WC Texas Titty Twister! Not a Texas Titty Twister x Indian Burn. I don't care if a fish has been so inter-bred that it has a dorsal fin growing out of its forehead, as long as it's not sold as WC or F1. Just be honest. And a lie of omission is still a lie. And if you want to spiff up your tired-@$$ bred into the ground blood lines with a different variant instead of buying better stock of what you are already breeding, then go ahead. Just don't dress it up to be anything other than it is.
                              Jeebus,
                              They do it in dogs, too, for sure. Cane Corso's are rampant with mixed breeds that look like Cane Corso's (to the untrained eye) but are in reality a pit x rottie x neo. But they charge you a couple grand for it.
                              One of the most laughable, recent pet-industry fads is those "designer dogs". But they aren't being sold as a pure bred, they are called what they are : A cocka poo, a Schnoodle, etc. That people are willing to pay as much or more for the mixed dogs is their biz, but they aren't being lied to about what kind of dog it is.
                              Jenney.
                              Question Authority.
                              75- WC Ilangi, S. tinanti, N. brevis
                              55- Grow-out- T. brichardi namansi, S. babaulti.

Comment

Working...
                              X