impossibly nipped fins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impossibly nipped fins?

I just noticed this morning that my betta's tail fin looks like it's been severely nipped. Looking closely, his side fins look a little ragged, as well. The thing is, the only other living thing in his tank (other than microorganisms) is an apple snail. What the heck is going on?

I'm going to give him a 60-75% water change today and hope it helps. A little salt and some extra conditioner, too. Anything else I should do?
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

Could you describe the history of this betta? When and where you got him, how long you've had him, etc.

Also, can you describe his tank setup?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I got him at Aquarium world... um... months ago (best I can do... damn memory). You may recall I posted on the diseases and disaster board about him at one point when he was sick with clumped fins, but he made it through that excellently with the regular application of Aquarisol and salt, along with water changes every other day. Since then, he's been doing kickass, very healthy, eating, getting mad at his snail, visiting me when I come to the tank, etc. He's still eating and isn't showing much difference in behavior, but I'm not sure about that.

The tank he's in is the one that started it all, lol. It's a pirate-themed version of the 2.65 gallon cheapie "goldfish" kit (I wish they wouldn't call it that) that my best friend sent me because I'm a pirate nut. The brand name is Marina by Hagen. Hold on...

Ticks me off, because now that I checked it, they've changed it and it's better quality. Grrrrrr.

Anyway, as you can see, it comes with the Elite Mini 5 gallon internal filter - which is, frankly, the best quality filter of the Elite line. No carbon to worry about and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Great for adding medication, too.

I got their standard top light, as well as their LED light system with three lights - blue, green and white. There are two wisteria and one java fern in there and they're all doing very well, though fortunately, they're not growing past their current size. Well, maybe the fern, but very slowly. Plain, gravel and a stone with a hole in it that he likes to swim through. Other than the snail, that is all that's in there with him. It also has little pad heater placed under the gravel, but I haven't used it since he was sick. (Now that I think of it, I'm going to turn that on.)

That's it, I think.
      Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

Anyone? poke, poke

Comment

Maybe fin rot?
          Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

That's kinda what I was thinking at first, but if Orandaman's keeping up with the water changes like when the betta was sick before, then that's probably not what's going on...

What do the edges of the fins look like? Can you post a picture?
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I got my son a betta and it's tail fin did shorten a little (I am assuming from water conditions changes) and at first it did look like fin nipping but no other fish. It eventually evened out and now it looks good, if not as long as when we got it.

any changes to the tank right before this started?
              Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Working...
              X