Rocky the Betta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky the Betta

I posted a few months back on my heartbreak of Rudy the Betta dying.

It took awhile, but I rescued another betta about 1.5 mos ago. In the store he sat motionless but managed the strength to look at me.

His scales were white and dingy...very thin fins - dull gray...emaciated body...his eyes were black as coal...however, he ate immediately after being put in his bowl

I started Rocky in a bowl and graduated him to a 10G tank, with a nice rock (Rudy's old rock--Rocky loves it) and some silk plants....his color improved to a nice bright Red/Crimson color...his fins are more shapely...his body normal.... his eyes slowly are revealing a beautiful beige color.... the black marks/gunk seemingly fatal at first (they looked raised) ... are now fading to red....

He is a great fish....loves to chase my finger...loves the mornings...

I have begun turning the filter off at night... as he seemed exhausted....and had a tore up fin one morning (I adjust the flow so its barely coming out, but one night it slipped...the water flowed to hard & it hurt him)....

Will that make the Ph fluctuate to much or is that ok to have the filter off 8-10 hrs?

what kind of filter is it and what is it rated for? It if is rated for a 10 g tank then it should be fine for him. Else i would suggest trading the filter you have for an internal filter of a sponge filter with bubbler

Comment

Yea, I would agree with somefishguy. If the filter is rated for a ten gallon it should be fine. Some bettas are over sensitive to water current and should be kept in tanks without filtration or with sponge filters.
      Merritt Adkins
      Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
      Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
      The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Its a biowheel filter.... the cheaper brand...Aqua Tech I believe... it puts out a heck of a current if its on full borne....

When I get paid in a few weeks I'll go up to the Fish Bowl on 518 and ask about a sponge filter.

Thank you fellas. Rocky just tore up his blood worms.
        ~matt

Comment

Main thing was he seemed to have trouble eating...seeing/catching the food with the current... myb I can just shut it off while he feeds briefly, will try that...

he had stopped eating & thats why I changed..& it did get him eating again.

I think from his eye issues...myb he cant see very well.

~Matt

Comment

Poor little guy. I'm glad you're taking care of him and I hope he continues to improve.
            Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

Comment

Thanks for the posts, Rocky's doing great... I hope he lives a long time... I would never put another fish in his tank.... it's all his

Comment

want to post a picture, but I dont think this is working... how can i post from a URL??

Comment

you use the tags [img]URL GOES HERE HERE[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X