55g Discus question/ to Discus or not to Discus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55g Discus question/ to Discus or not to Discus

So as the title states I am currently piecing together a 55g tank and my big question is can I keep Discus happily in a 55g community setting? (I was just thinking about 10 tetras or so and a group of cory cats). I know that Discus like to be in groups of 5+, so I was worried that this might be a little too tight even with a good water change schedule.

I want to do Discus right and not rush in, so if it's better to wait until I move and get a bigger tank I will. And i do not want a Discus only tank, I would like it lightly planted with sand substrate with about 10 tetras or so and a small group of cory cats. Is this do-able...or a disaster waiting to happen?

Thanks for the advise!!

Start with small or medium size discus and 5 will work!

But you know bigger is always better.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Just my opinion here, naps, but I wouldn't do 5 discus and community fish in a 55. I'd do a bare bottom with just discus... but if you can wait and find a good 75 gal I think your community stocking plan will work well.

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
        Just my opinion here, naps, but I wouldn't do 5 discus and community fish in a 55. I'd do a bare bottom with just discus... but if you can wait and find a good 75 gal I think your community stocking plan will work well.

Mark
        Thanks Mark!! That's kinda what I was thinking...it's just pushing it too much in a 55g. Thanks for the advise!

Comment

+1 on Marks comments if you want discus in a 55 bare bottom with nothing else will be the way to go. If you want a discus show case then 75+ will be needed.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
          X