My very first tank journal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My very first tank journal!

Hello guys! This has been one project that took quite a lot of time, but since now that I have something close to being what is called a tank I'll start a journal. :) Any suggestions and comments are appreciated!

Tank: 10 Gallon
    Filter: Top Fin 10
    Substrate: Eco-Complete
    CO2: DIY Yeast into the intake of an internal filter
    Rocks: Zebra Rock
    Plants: Hairgrass & HC
    Inhabitants: Red Cherry Shrimp (as of currently)

securedownload3.jpg
    securedownload2.jpg
    [Tank after I put the rocks in. Water was pretty cloudy]

securedownload1.jpg
    [My friend Luis gave me a whole bunch of hairgrass and I was able to plant them in the back as the background plants. I haven't trimmed or pruned them because I wanted to give them a chance to grow before I tried to trim. Thanks Luis! :o Also, the plants floating up top are rotala rotundifolia. The store owner of the fish store I went to said that it would help absorb the excess nutrients in the tank to reduce algae. His name is Dan from Houston Aquarium Warehouse! You guys should go there!]

securedownload.jpg
    [Red cherry shrimps were also provided by Luis! One of them is for sure berried and I can't wait for them to come out and fill up my tank!]

That's all I have for now. I hope you guys can provide me some suggestions on what I should do and ideas on how I can limit the amount of algae I get. Please feel free to give me any suggestions whatsoever!

This hobby is pretty expensive! The project is still incomplete and I have no money left. But I love it so I will try my very best to make it a nice place for my plants to grow and the creatures in it to live.

Thanks guys!
    DUHK
    Last edited by DUHK; 08-17-2009, 06:42 PM.

I'm not any kind of expert on aquascaping, so I'll leave it to others...

neat looking rocks, where did you get them?

do you plan to plant some kind of ground cover?

Comment

I got the rocks from Nepco.cc Complexity suggested it to me and they have an amazing, beautiful variety of rocks.

Comment

What kind of lighting do you have on there?
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Beautiful rocks! Very nice choice for the tank you have in mind. Keep us updated on how the plants grow in!
          Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
          • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
          • 29g Planted - Journal
          • 29g Planted
          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

I can't wait too see the tank but there seems to be a problem with the pics.
            Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
            Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Lookin good!
              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Originally posted by Roujin View Post
                I can't wait too see the tank but there seems to be a problem with the pics.

click on the links to see the pics

will look great when it fills in

Comment

Thanks guys! I will surely update!

Comment

nice!:)
                    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Thank you! Do you guys know how long it should take for hairgrass to grow in and send runners?

Comment

Where is nepco.cc or is it a web site?? Sweet looking rocks I will just have to copy you if you will allow it. Awesome I mean AWESOME rocks.

FF

Comment

That's the website :) And go right ahead!

Comment

I just found it, Google is the way to go. Good thing is that its here in Houston. What was it a lb.? if you can remember??

FF

Comment

Originally posted by DUHK View Post
                              Thank you! Do you guys know how long it should take for hairgrass to grow in and send runners?

The first 3-4 week is pretty slow. But once established, it will fill in pretty quick. Make sure you keep up with the CO2 and give it plenty of light.
                              "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X