freshwater clams in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freshwater clams in Texas

I would like to try a couple of freshwater clams for two tanks I think would be ideal for it, but I found out that most are outlawed in Texas. I like that idea, but wouldn't it be interesting to have some sort of aquarist's license that let you use such things? Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Does anyone here know what's legal, where I can find out more about them and who in Texas sells them?

Thanks.
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

Fish Gallery had some for sale today.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Here's where you can check what's illegal...

Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Where about do you live? if you are brave enough, you can dig around in most creeks or gullies in the houston area to find them. I pulled some out of oyster creek (sugarland), that were the size of grapefruits. This was no more than 5 feet from the bank, in maybe 5 feet of water. Most people don't bother with them because they need "dirty water" to live, which makes for bad aquarium buddies.

Addition: The clams I am thinking of are "native" to houston waters, so are completely legal to own. Aquarium stores cannot sell locally caught animals/plants for a profit. You can buy them from places like Fish Gallery, which is fine, it just means they were probably farm-raised somewhere else. Again, not a real big deal. IF you are looking for BIG clams, like the ones I mentioned, you will need to find them yourself. They take many years to reach full size, and normally never see this size when raised in a tank.
        Last edited by Sea-agg09; 08-16-2009, 07:03 PM.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

Thank you very much, guys. I live in Houston, just inside the loop on the north side close to 290. I normally go to Aquarium World and haven't been to Fish Gallery. I shall go forthwith. Well, some time this week.

Sea-agg09: Some day, I plan to have a large pond, at which time your idea sounds lovely. However, I just need small ones for some tanks in my room.

Thanks again, guys. This place rocks.
          Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post
            Thank you very much, guys. I live in Houston, just inside the loop on the north side close to 290. I normally go to Aquarium World and haven't been to Fish Gallery. I shall go forthwith. Well, some time this week.

Sea-agg09: Some day, I plan to have a large pond, at which time your idea sounds lovely. However, I just need small ones for some tanks in my room.

Thanks again, guys. This place rocks.

I love going to aquarium world!
            Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Originally posted by fishboyt View Post
              I love going to aquarium world!
              I love jumping into snake infested waters! To each his own I guess...
              75 planted (Being Renovated)
              Endlers
              gobies
              lots of nanos

Comment

can u eat freshwater clams???

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  can u eat freshwater clams???
                  I think some species are edible.
                  PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

mmmmm i smell a clam bake commin on
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President
                    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

and i love snake infested waters too, maybe cause i love snakes too
                      Never fear I is here
                      David Abeles
                      Vice President
                      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Originally posted by Tiapan View Post
                        mmmmm i smell a clam bake commin on
                        Geno has mentioned edible freshwater clams in the Philippines.
                        PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Update: imagirlgeek (which, of course, as a guy geek, I think is the coolest nick in the world), thank you for that link. I checked it and saw no clams listed, so fortunately the person at Aquarium World was wrong. I called the guy listed on the page (he called me back twice, but hung up, confused by being met with Sinatra singing "My Way" lol) and he confirmed it.

Thanks again, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea-agg09 View Post
                            I love jumping into snake infested waters! To each his own I guess...
                            Don't care for Aquarium World? I love the staff there and they're really clean (edit: I mean the store, not the staff... well, the staff is clean, I didn't mean... oh, forget it). All the fish and plants I've gotten from them have been very healthy. And they seem very responsible. Much better than the place I was going to.

I'm down with a clam bake. I'll slick my hair back and bring my guitar. Uh-huh. Thankyaveramuch.

Comment

I'm not sure if they're on there, but you might also want to check fishing regs on the TPWD site. Sometimes there is a limit to certain inverts you can catch.
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                              X