Advice on Betta enisae?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Betta enisae?

Has anyone ever kept these guys? If so, any advice? I just saw them, and was intrigued, and am wanting to know more from others about them.

Thanks!

P.S. I know I can research on the internet, but was looking for any first-hand experience. :)
    Last edited by Mzungu; 08-06-2009, 01:13 PM.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

So no one's kept them before? How about other mouthbrooders? I read an article stating that the care requirements for mouthbrooders are pretty similar...

Any advice? Should I try them, or no?

Comment

I found this: http://www.ibcbettas.org/smp/articles/enisae.html
      Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Thanks! I read that one and a couple of others on that website. :)

Comment

I have bred B. Macrostoma, B. Channoides & B. Albimarginata. All 3 are mouth brooders.
          But no idea about Enisae.

If they are anything like Channoides & Albimarginata, then you can keep a small group of them in a species only tank. Lots of low maintaince plants (like java fern, java moss & various small anubias) & driftwood hiding spots. Water should be slightly acidic ~6.5-ish. I keep them at the same temp as my home ~75-ish.

Personally, i would reccomend B. Macrostoma, they have very interesting personalities... And most of the stock in the U.S nowadays are captive bred, which makes things very much easier for the everyday hobbyist.
          I know someone out of state still breeding Macrostoma & Rubra. Lemme know if you need contact info.
          Last edited by nacra99; 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM.
          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

With so few with experience with them, sounds like you need to get some so you can share your experiences (and fry!) with the rest of us.
            Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
            • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
            • 29g Planted - Journal
            • 29g Planted
            • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Thanks, Nacra!

I am still thinking about it, although now you've brought it up, I think I will try to find out where this stock comes from, i.e. is it tank raised or wild caught. Thanks. :)

Don't tempt me too much, Vicki! I'm already begging my boyfriend to please remind me that I don't have any money, and don't need another tank, and DEFINITELY don't need gotti's tank...lol!

Comment

You have plenty of money, you always need another tank, and you DEFINITELY need gotti's tank! )

I'm a lot of help, I know.
                Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
                • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
                • 29g Planted - Journal
                • 29g Planted
                • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Originally posted by Complexity View Post
                  You have plenty of money, you always need another tank, and you DEFINITELY need gotti's tank! )

I'm a lot of help, I know.
                  +1

...and my birthday's comin' up, and I know you want to buy me a new discus tank. :biggrin:

Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Complexity View Post
                    With so few with experience with them, sounds like you need to get some so you can share your experiences (and fry!) with the rest of us.
                    +1
                    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

You guys crack me up!

Yeah, thanks for all the support...

Comment

Hi stumbled upon this webby, whilst searching for info on the enisae myself:) I have 4 fully adult Enisae 1 male and 3 female. After purchasing them I kept them in a large community tank, noticed that they were very shy for a week or so. Gradually they became more and more active, until I was noticing them chasing a lot of the other fish away from areas and smaller fish mysterously going missing. Also, the male paired off with one of the females. The male colours while in the act of spawning are vivid. His head will become almost black, but more of a navy blue colour, while his fins display a striking blue line along them. So, about 3 or 4 Months ago I moved a pair to their own tank and the duo of females got there own home too. Since about August I have spawned these about 5 or 6 times. Upon spawning they will sit at the front of the tank in full view and dance with each other for several hours at a time. After the embrace the female will spit eggs to the male in the most teasing way. Over and over again she will spit either a single egg , or sometimes 5 or so eggs to the male hoping theat he grabs them b4 they hit the ground. If they look like they are gonna the female will grab them before they land. On each occasion after they spawned the female would go back to being her normal self, while the male would now skulk about in the plants for the next week or so. Every single time though within the first week he would at some stage eat the eggs this happend to me for a few Months. Untill, about 2 weeks ago. Upon cleaning out the tank I noticed a small eye near the heater and then another further back. It was then I decided to strip down the tank and see what I had left. The fry were found on 12th/12th/09 I now have approx 50 young , which are growing at an alarmingly fast rate. The male was put back into the tank along with a different female, and within about 10 seconds of her hitting the water they were spawning again and now approx 10 days later, I found 1 new baby in the tank and he has a mouthfull of eggs/fry about to be relesed any day now again. They are currently gorwing up at an alarming rate eating newly hatched brine shrimp along with decapsuated and otohime B1. the growth is so quick, some are more than treble there birth size already and already look like mini versions of there parents. The parents are spawned in a 3ft tank divided into 3 using ring binders and needlecraft sheets. Their part of the tank is approx 12x12x12 inch, filled with a mixture of artificial and real plants, from java moss to cabomba. The filtration in the tank is done via a power filter which sits in their section of the tank. This has a rubber hose attached to it with holes pierced into it to allow water to spray out into the tank. Ph is roughly 7. I will try to get some piccies up if you still have any interest. I have taken on my phone piccies of the fry and the parents habbitat ( SO not the best)when I can figure out how to get them off it. Cheers

Comment

Lol wall of text or what, I promise I did use paragraphs whenI typed it:)

Comment

Don't have enisae but I currently have a 30g species betta tank with 2 male Foerschi and 2 female Chloropharynx (from the IBC auction last summer, they lost their mates in transit from Thailand) I have a full cover with an internal filter as they are part Hudini and can excape through the smallest of holes. The tank is backed into a corner where nothing can disturb them from the back or far side. I use R/O water adjusted to a hardness of 10 and pH of 6.5. The first 3 months I used a lot of almond leaves and the tank was almost black. Couldn't see a thing, just kept adding blackworms and frozen adult brine shrimp or daphnia when I could get it. Then I decided that there was no point in keeping fish I couldn't see & enjoy, so I replaced all the black water with nice clear water( same hardness & pH) , a lot of java fern, anubus, drift wood & and a few ceramic caves....... I can see them now but they spend their time trying to hide under the driftwood. I have a small colony of endlers going and they are next on the menu.
                            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                            X