Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you guys usually train fish to eat new things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you guys usually train fish to eat new things?

i was wondering how you guys get your fish to eat new things. my archer is being picky again and doesnt want to eat his dried shrimps. -.- he loves crickets but that gets expensive after awhile. is there any cool techniques you guys use to get certain fish to eat something? c'mon its dried shrimp..who doesnt like dried shrimp!! lol.

I hate to say it...but sometimes you just have to starve them for a day. that is what I would do with my discus when trying to get them off of bloodworms and on to pellets. that or give him what he wants with a little of the new stuff. and over time slowly increase the amount of the new stuff until he is only getting the new food.
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

lol sounds like hes doing that to himself. he doesnt eat the shrimp when i throw it in and he tries to eat the mono's flakes -.- UGH lol. hes semi starving himself. i wonder how mixing a cricket and dried shrimp would work XD!

Comment

Hang a silk plant over the tank and mount a small xmas flashing light.
        When he spits at it, drop 1 shrimp in.

Just like training them to put out cigaretts.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Dried shrimp is also pretty tough for an archer to eat. They don't have any teeth to speak of or grinding palate like a redfish so you may need to soak the shrimp in water for a while and rehydrate it to soften it up some.

Mark
          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I fed my archer fish dried tubifex worms. I took a small portion of the cube , dipped it in water, and then stuck it to the side above the water's surface. the archer fish would then spit at it until it fell into the water.

Usually when transitioning a fish to new food, I add a little of the new food to the old food and feed both... increasing the percentage of neww food each time until it hits 100% after 7-10 days.
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
              Usually when transitioning a fish to new food, I add a little of the new food to the old food and feed both... increasing the percentage of neww food each time until it hits 100% after 7-10 days.
              +1
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

My fish can be picky sometimes. Especially my natives. I went with what newb was saying to get them to eat flakes. I fed the tank only flakes for about a week, but only a couple of times. They had been eating bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp (and sometimes other live foods such as scuds and mosquito larvae) for YEARS. They were finally hungry enough to actually eat it. The first couple of times everyone just took it in their mouth, expecting food because that's what the big hand usually puts in their tank, and spit it right out.

I tried to taper off the live food with flakes and pellets, but they ended up just taking the live food and leaving the flakes/pellets.

Long story short, they'll get hungry enough to eat. But just be sure the food you're switching to had the correct nutritional values for the specific fish. And that they can eat it, like Mark said.
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                X