Some of my pond fish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of my pond fish...

I've been slowly decreasing my pond fish over the past year... and fshfrk is taking 8-10 of the goldfish.

Wanna take your pick, John?

If anybody else wants some goldfish, I can bring a few to the GHAC auction at the end of the month.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

i want that orange one !

)
    Tropheus Elitist Maximus
    150 Troph & Petro mix Link
    ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
    ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

Originally posted by gotticgs View Post
      i want that orange one !

)

Careful, I'll show up at your place with a big orange fish in a bag...

If you look carefully, you can see the blue fish too.
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Whatever happened to doing trophs in there?

Comment

Too much effort. There are a couple dubs in there though...

Comment

I will need 10 of those hogs.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Nice platinum ogon koi! I think I spot some paradise gouramis too. Do you have to overwinter them indoors?
              Last edited by PlanB; 05-05-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                Nice platinum ogon koi! I think I spot some paradise gouramis too. Do you have to overwinter them indoors?

Nope. They were all outside. You are ver observant... those are indeed paradise gourami. There is over a dozen of them in there.

Please tell me more about this koi. Is it a Japanese koi? This a koi that was rescued from a house in the neighbodhood that was getting bulldozed. I know next to nothing about koi... only what I've learned from justdoit.

Comment

I believe "ogon" means gold in Japanese and is used to describe any metallic, solid colored koi. It's not a variety exclusively bred in Japan, so it's hard to say whether it's Japanese bred or not. America, Israel, Vietnam and Malaysia are also big breeders of koi, so it's possible it could also have come from there.

But where it came from isn't as important as where it ended up. It's awesome you were able to rescue it before it became lawn fertilizer!

Comment

Wanted to thank you again for the 5 goldies I picked up yesterday from you. All are doing well and settling in to my herd. You have a nice pond setup for your fish. Always great to see crystal clear water like yours, instead of pea soup That platinum ogon koi and the black koi are really nice. Plus, I loved the paradise gouramis and dubs you had in there.

Here's a photo of where they ended up. Kind of hard to see under all the lilies, but they've got lots of places to hide.

Liane
                    Attached Files

Comment

That is a great setup! The fish couldn't have gone to a better home. It was good to meet you and Zach. I appreciate the lily very much as well.

Comment

I will come catch those dubs if you want to clear some space...
                        250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

What part of town are you in? I need a few small goldies to keep algae under control. They don't have to be pretty, just healthy.
                          Zone 9
                          150G stock tank: one RES and a buncha mosquito fish.
                          2 half-barrels with mosquito fish & snails.
                          Seeking 2 small goldies!

Comment

Originally posted by reptilegrrl View Post
                            What part of town are you in? I need a few small goldies to keep algae under control. They don't have to be pretty, just healthy.
                            I'm close to downtown. Upper Montrose / River Oaks area.
                            The smallest I have is 7".

I'm not certain that the goldfish would do the best job of cleaning algae though...

Comment

Ah well, a little too big for me to start with- I like to start with them small so I can keep them for awhile; once they get close to 12 inches they are too big for my pond.

They are great for algae control! When I had goldies in my pond, there was no string algae or clumpy algae in the pond. String algae would grow in the filter, and I would pull out handfulls of it and drop it in the pond for the goldies... they loved that stuff, they sucked it down like spaghetti. Since my last goldfish was killed (I think by a raccoon, I found some pieces of her in the pond) the pond is looking nasty, lots of clumpy algae.

I actually almost never fed my goldfish, because they grew large and fat on algae and pond plants. I bought some nice goldfish food before I figured that out though, so they got it once in awhile as a treat.

I went to Petsmart tonight and picked up a few little ones. They are in a safety cage until they get a little bigger, then I'll let them loose on algae patrol.
                              Zone 9
                              150G stock tank: one RES and a buncha mosquito fish.
                              2 half-barrels with mosquito fish & snails.
                              Seeking 2 small goldies!

Comment

Working...
                              X