CF Light fixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CF Light fixture

I had a CF fixture on my 55gal and it mysteriously went out one day. I know the lamps are still good on it. At the time, I just replaced it as I am a very impatient person, but I would like to fix it if it would be cost effective. I wasn't around when it happened, so I don't know how it quit (pop, gradual fade, silent death).

Any ideas of what could have broken and/or where to source parts? I am not afraid of messing w/wires etc... if necessary.

Thanks

It's probably the ballast, what kind of fixture do you have?

Comment

If you are positive the bulbs are good and can verify it there is only the ballast, wiring or switch left.

Pretty simple to diagnose.

Now you say it's a 55g so I am going to assume that you have either 2x65w or 4x65w which the ballast for is not all that expensive compared to replacing the whole fixture. If you have the 4x65w then swap the bulbs around and see if any of them will light up. If not then you could get a DVOM and see if there is power coming out of the ballast and before the ballast to single out the problem.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Reagan Lighting on Tamnia Rd in the back of the Woodlands. Off fm1488 & fm2978. they replaced my ballasts in a pair of current 36" power compacts for 80.00 each. They have a old man in there that does this small stuff. If the lamp is more than 2 yrs old it's the ballast IMO.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

man I got like three fixtures right now the ballast are out in. Its hard to find the ones that will fit inside the fixture and have the required power. I guess I just need to find me something besides lowes and homedepot.

REgardless...still sucks...
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Sweet!!
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Also check out Hellolights.com
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to try and troubleshoot this weekend. I am hoping i will have the time as I really liked this particular fixture.

Comment

Working...
                  X