Banana Lily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banana Lily

Every time that I clean the filter pad of my pond skimmer I get a few small new tubers of Banana Lily. These look remarkably similar the “Banana Plants” found in the aquarium trade and in fact are of the same genus, Nymphoides. The difference is that these ones have long stems and the leaves will reach the surface as you would expect from a Lily. It has tiny 5 petal white flowers and I am waiting to see if they will bloom in the aquarium. In the pond it can grow as a floating plant or planted. This plant is commonly referred to as Floating Heart or Banana Lily.

I thought I would throw a few in my tank (instead of the trash) and have found that they grow quickly. Instead of having short carpet plants in the foreground in my little (26 bow) planted tank I am trying these for now.

(Click here for large Flickr image)

very kool
    altums 90 gallon
    fahaka puffer 68
    community 60 cube

can't find it make it
    can find it make it better

Comment

I just cleaned out my pond skimmer this morning. This is what the tubers look like:
      (Flicker Image Here)

Comment

if you get too many over there morph i will gladly rehome a few of them for you........seeing that you live in my area......)

Comment

Sure. I am bringing some to the Betta meeting on Sunday which is not far from us. Or you are welcome to come by on Saturday as I will be working on the pond. If all else fails we can plan a field trip to watch RA eat something

Comment

i have a fishing date on saturday......)
            but you just let me know and RA will be happy to show you how he tears up his food.......

Comment

Morph, I put a banana plant in my discus tank a few years ago...the regular banana plant you get at the LFS. When I finally got rid of it, it had 15 pads floating on top and was shading half the tank. I'd get the adventitious pups on the leaves every couple months and traded several dozen to different folks. I don't think I'll get another for that tank--lol

Mark
              What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
              X