Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Field report - Championship Betta Farm (lotsa pics!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field report - Championship Betta Farm (lotsa pics!)

Hey all!
    I finally made it to Singapore...
    If you think houston is hot and humid.....let me tell you that Singapore is HOT AND HUMID! I'm pretty much getting my 6 glasses a day by simply BREATHING!

I've been fish farm hopping all week meeting people and i came across "BETTA 26", owned and operated by the award winning Ho Soon Hai. Here's some results from his 2007 betta circuit run. He has winners in almost every category!

Mr Ho was nice enuff to let me take pics. Many farms that i've visited were not so accommodating.

Anyway... without further ado.... here are some pics......

1. The place was pretty obscure, no flashy lights or conspicuous signage. Only a little sign of his award winning plakat is all the "advertising" he needs.

2) So we go to the "farm" ... nothing more than a wooden shack overgrown (on the inside) with ficus plants
    Last edited by nacra99; 01-27-2009, 03:44 AM.
    www.ventralfins.com

3) He has a pinup poster by the door with all his award winning plakats.

4) Step past the door... a betta fanatic's heaven....

5) So many bettas...I'm excited like a little boy!!!!..........

6) Oh God... i think i wet my knickers........
    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

7) So i noticed that all the water was brown...

8) So i asked him what the deal was with all the brown water. He takes me out back and points at some brewing buckets. Indian Almond Leaves! "Ketapang".

9)Just to give you an idea of the size of his jars. Note.. they get 100% water changes every 2-3 days. Champions get daily waterchanges with freshly brewed "ketapang" water.

10) Buncha empty jars out back.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

11) Growout "tanks". Nothing more than large terracotta pots. I'm amazed that the fry don't get boiled sitting out in the sun like that.

12)Championship betta feed....

13) Live Tubifex worms.

14) Guess where the culls go......

15) Mr Ho lets me take a pic of his finest red plakats. The pic doesn't do it justice. These are some of the deepest reddest 8-ray plakats that i have ever seen.

16) Pic with the man himself. Being of small built, he asks me how i got to be so huge... i tell him is the steroid laden texas beef.
        Many thanks to Mr Ho for allowing me to take pics.
        I have his contact info if anyone is interested in "group orders".

tomorrow... arrow farms!
        Last edited by nacra99; 01-27-2009, 03:46 AM.
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

that is so cool......
          thank you so much for sharing your adventures .....
          those are some very beautiful fish indeed.....
          have fun on your adventures there...can't wait to see the rest....

Comment

You know I'd love to add one of his dark red HM's to my stable.
            You didn't happen to bring any back in your pockets ?
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What a great trip, thanks for sharing!
                Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

The "Tanks" he has are like what the fry live in when they are in the wild. Maybe I should build a shack in my backyard to spawn my bettas in. Now he's got me thinking.
                  Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

I'm not into Bettas but really enjoyed your report and all the pictures. Thanks!
                    Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Wow!!!
                      Karen

Comment

wow, that is so cool. 100% water changes every 2-3 days = a lot of work. Thanks for sharing.
                        150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                        125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                        115G Tanganyikan

Comment

Great pics. I was not lucky as you when I visited some of the farms in Singapore. All of them frowned at my camera.
                          Thanks
                          Bhushan
                          Checkout my blog AquaMusing
                          sigpic

Comment

I was quite tempted to hide some away in my pockets... after all he sells most bettas at $3 each locally, compared to $20+ by the time it reaches the U.S.

Betta 26 has a guy whose sole job it is to do wc's. It takes him 2-3 days to get through all the jars and then start all over again. Hence 2-3 day wc's per jar. Apparently the turnover rate for that position is quite high. I was told that water changers usually quit after 3 months of monotony.

Yah... unfortunately i wasn't able to take any more pics from any other farms. Most farms here have a "camera patrol" whose job it is to scream at unwitting tourists who whip out their cameras.
                            www.ventralfins.com

Comment

that's just so wrong of them not to let you take pictures of this facinating place......
                              we should've wired you with a "candid camera" before you went....
                              but thanks for the pics you did get and sharing them with us....
                              hope your having a great trip over there.....come back safely....

Comment

Working...
                              X