betta medication question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• betta medication question

My sister-in-law has a betta that was losing its fins. She's meticulous about doing water changes weekly. His tank was in a high-traffic area, so she moved the tank and dosed with Melafix. His fins are just beginning to grow back. They are no longer ragged, although still shorter than normal. The new growth is white and looks healthy. Should she continue to dose with Melafix? Is there any reason to move to an antibiotic?

MelaFix is antiseptic and antifungal = Active ingredients: MelaFix is 1.0% Melateuca CAS#8008-98-8 (tea tree oil)
    Tea tree oil contains consituents called terpenoids, which have been found to have antiseptic and antifungal activity. The compound terpinen-4-ol is the most abundant and is thought to be responsible for most of tea tree oil's antimicrobial activity.

But do not double dose as it can be deadly.

I use Betafix which is a dilute solution of the same stuff - made for small containers not tanks.
    Fin rot has a bad habbit of reoccouring so continue to use medicatin for at least a month after you have it beat.
    Last edited by PhishPhreek; 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I'll pass on the information...thank you!

Comment

Betafix and Melafix have never worked for me. I use the Maracyn medicine which can be found anywhere and is pretty cheap. Just to let you know. :-)
        Merritt Adkins
        Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
        Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
        The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Working...
        X