Help with Diagnosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Diagnosis?

Hello!  I'm glad to find a forum of local betta enthusiasts.... I'm hoping to find someone to help me.  I have had my betta, Merlin, for about 3 months now and have to admit that I began with no knowledge, which means I obviously didn't change the water enough, etc.  The first thing I noticed was that Merlin's beautiful turquoise fins began to turn grey.  I began to research what may be wrong, but none of the disease descriptions I found on the web really seemed to match his look.  But I did learn about proper water conditions and began to keep his tank clean.  Then he began hanging in the corner or sitting on the bottom.  He quit building bubble nests and was non-responsive to me.  I found "Betta Revive" at the pet store and began treating with that.... yeah!  Improvement!  But, still not well.  I continued to research and even brought him in to the pet store where I was told he looked just fine, but I knew better.  I continued to research on line and decided to treat with Maracyn and Maracyn II as recommended on many sites.  I've done so now for the 5 day treatment period prescribed on the box, and Merlin is still no better.  I would really like to find someone who is really familiar with bettas that I could show him to to get help identifying the problem.  I'm in League City, so preferably someone in the southeast quadrant.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Marla

Re: Help with Diagnosis?

Oh, a little more about his tank.  He is in a one gallon tank with a mini heater which keeps the water at about 80.  I have two live plants and test strips show all levels to be very good.

Comment

PhishPhreek is the betta king here on the box and he lives in Texas City which isn't very far from where you are.

What kind of food do you feed Merlin?

Welcome to the box!
      Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

It is possible you have some parasites like ick or velvet.  If so a teaspoon of salt in his water whenever you change it will kill them.

It is possible you have an internal infection (from the dirty water) and if so you need to treat with kanamycin after every water change until he is better.

And it could just be DEPRESSION  - from  http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

DISEASE: UNKNOWN – POSSIBLE DEPRESSION
        GENERAL INFO:  
        Sometimes a betta will act sick but not exhibits any symptoms. He could either have internal parasites, or some mild bacterial infection, or simply be depressed. Bettas often become depressed when they are first jarred as young fries, and get separated from their siblings. Also, males often become depressed after spawning. A depressed betta will stop eating and swimming around and may let himself starve to death. This is not as unusual as one may think!
        SYMPTOMS:  
        Bettas may or may not have slightly clamped fins, lay at bottom or at surface, not eat, barely swim around. They will not flare or build bubble nests.
        TREATMENT:  
        Do a full water change for jars or a 70% water change for tanks. Isolate any suspected sick betta. Add two drop of BettaZing (included in our Betta First Aid Kit) to each quart of water (so 8 drops per gallon). If the betta was just spawned or just jarred, and it is likely to simply have depression: In the case of a newly jarred young betta, float his jar inside the tank where his siblings still are. This should help him cope with the isolation. In the case of a male who has just been spawned, try floating him inside a tank containing lots of other bettas, females preferably. It has always worked for me. When floating a jar in a larger tank, be careful: if you have a power filter or canister filter the water flow created will slowly but surely pull in the floating jar and once the jar is under the water flow, it will fill up with water and sink, releasing the betta into the tank!! Therefore, make sure the jar is secured somehow and cannot drift.

I would recomend you add salt if you don't already,  add 1/3 almond leaf (antibiotic) every time you change water  (I would offer you some but I am out and waiting for my next shipment from Jeff / Block2 which is due any day now), feed some live food (I have daphnia & blackworms) and provide a second betta for company in an adjacent container. (I have a little green marble female that would love to meet him) and change their water every 2 or 3 days for a few weeks.

With proper food and care Merlin could live for up to 5 years.  
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I've had one of my bettas for more than two years now and he's still going.
          Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

To be honest, sounds like your betta is depressed. I have had soo many bettas and eventually one shows signs of depression. It sounds like PhishPhreek knows what he is talking about. What usually helps with mine is 1. company (my company) 2. better food. Try to culture your own misquito larva, and mix up food with mysid shrimp, pellets and some ghost shrimp if he will eat them. Good luck!
            Merritt Adkins
            Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
            Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
            The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Working...
            X