whats up with my males

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats up with my males

hey guys just got internet in my new place, where is everyone. anyway ive set up two breeding tanks. done just like phishfreak suggested, but now i just have two very pregnent females and no bubble nest. the males r flaring and swiming around the jar. the girls r following them wirth there heads bowd. everything seems to be ready except,NO NEST!!! whats up, any suggestions. thanks guys

Re: whats up with my males

Could be too cold - they like 82F  or it could be that after shipping and not having any food for 3/4 days they are not ready.
    Have a cold front comming is so this is a good time to try.  
    Be sure to cover the tanks and give them a nest protector

'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

water is 82, check
      nest protecter,check
      cover over top,check
      cold front brrrrrr,check
      theres supposed to be some rain comin this weekend, maybe that will doit, but if not how long should i wait before btakem out. and what about the females theyer full of eggs 8O

Comment

Adult bettas can go 7-10 days without eating and it is recomended that you do not feed them in the spawn tank to avoid ammonia build up which can kill your fry.   However the Adults do continue to contribute waste to the tank and after a week the ammonia will start to build up.  So you need to remove them and tear down the spawn tank and start over.   Most breeder give their selected pairs 3 or 4 days before reconditioning them.   When reconditioning them you need to make up for lack of food.   Give them all the high proteen (live if possible) food they will eat and card them (place an index card between jars so they are in isolation).   And with the heavy eating come more waste so be sure to do weekly water changes.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

ok ive broken it all down. carded the bettas,"because they looked underaged, ha ha" :signlame: now will the females be ok even though they were ready. u no
          plump and striped.i will wait a few days then start condition them again, back to the drawing board

Comment

Try a piece of clear bubble wrap cut it to 3" - 4" round and float it at the corner of the tank with bubbly side down. Some people float an oak leaf on top of the bubble wrap to make it look "natural", but a styrofoam cup sliced in half will do the same.Tape it to the wall so that it doesn't float away.

With any luck, he'll start hanging out under the nest and even blowing his own bubbles to supplement the fake ones.
            I've had pairs spawn directly into the bubble wrap without blowing a bubble nest.

Of course, you have to start with mature pairs.

good luck!
            www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
            X