Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about the gym?

Hey guys!

JStrider and I have a pretty common disagreement regarding physical fitness and attendance at the local gym. This prompted me to start a thread and get some other opinions. His opinion on the local gym is a distaste for sharing equipment with other people despite the machines being wiped down. He also would prefer to run outside rather than on a treadmill.

Here comes my questions...

How do you feel about the local gym?
    Is the price worth it?
    Do you mind sharing equipment with other people?
    How often do you go to the gym?
    If you don't like going to the gym for exercise...what would you prefer to do instead?

I love going to the gym personally, I enjoy staying active and physically fit, it helps keep me happy mentally and emotionally. Currently I do not have a membership and it has been one of the most stressful periods of time. I think a reasonable price means a lot when finding a good gym a person feels comfortable at. I don't mind sharing equipment with other patrons as long as they wipe it down after themselves. I enjoy running outside in the neighborhood as well as climbing and riding my bike.

Does anyone else have this argument with their SO? Or does your SO rag on you for not going to the gym enough? Would love to get both sides discussing on here.
    4 - 6 Times a week
    0.00%
    3 - 5 Times a week
    0.00%
    2 - 4 Times a week
    0.00%
    1 - 2 Times a week
    0.00%
    Never
    100.00%
    Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Re: How do you feel about the gym?

whats a Gym?

Comment

Originally posted by spyke1969";p="
      whats a Gym?
      A place where guys work out and get all sweaty! :P

AS you can tell, it's been many years since I've been to one.  
      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

My problem has always been finding time to go to the gym.
        I had the "my family needs me" trip and would skip my workout to get home sooner (grade school kids)
        or "I have to get this work done" and stay at work late.(high school kids)
        The only time I really got a good consistant workout was when I was in sports programs at school or later out of town and away from my family.
        Now that my kids are grown, I have a big hill to climb just to get back in half=@$$ shape.
        Tomorrow is registration at the local comunity college and one of the reasions I am signing up
        is to have access to their water aerobics, lap swim and weight machines.  
        I know I could make do at home with home made equipment (like Rocky) but I do better with
        a scheduled time at a location with out distractions.  Can you say "Accountability" ?

I've got to start taking care of this body, it's the only one I got.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Do I need to answer?

I will say this...For me going to the gym allows me to work on my body and get back into my shape that most of you guys saw a few years ago. Also, it allows me towork out stress and use the daily grind as fuel for a good work out.

I kid James and someone else on here who will remain name less about the gym because they SO like you and the person will remain less SO ride them about going to the gym.

If James have a phobia about using gym equipment then let him run....either way he is working out.

To answer your question:

How do you feel about the local gym? I love my local gym
          Is the price worth it? price....I dont pay anymore lol
          Do you mind sharing equipment with other people? I have no other choice...but I wiped down the cardio equipment before I use it.
          How often do you go to the gym? 4 to 6 time a week
          If you don't like going to the gym for exercise...what would you prefer to do instead? 3 letter word beings with s and end with x

Plus,

Going to the gym is one thing...but the main thing is diet. YOu can run or work out as much as the next person but if you dont eat right it's a total waste.

Comment

I go to the gym 7days a week at around 8am(can answer phones from there) and I go run on the elips around 6pm mon-fri while my wife is there,I find it humurous to set it as hard as possible and watch people come and try to keep up and nearly pass out-Old Guys Rule!! If I skip even 1 day i get miserable feeling it has become a part of my life. Been going about 2 1/2 years and i owe it all to some smarta** kid a walmart that called me an old fat basta**! size 40waist pants would barely button,could sit my plate on my belly and now if i stand up straight 32`s will fall off! I feel better than I have ever felt in my life and I can do things like wakeboarding & wakeskating that other people my age cant even attempt.I even find a gym when on vacation and in Mexico it was a 20x20 little sweatbox-still went every day! It did get expensive buying different clothes all the time but well worth it........gym costs $12month-sound fitness

How do you feel about the local gym? Love it
            Is the price worth it? $12month
            Do you mind sharing equipment with other people? dont really care But I dont always wipe stuff down-someone being paid to do that-job security
            How often do you go to the gym? 7 days a week
            If you don't like going to the gym for exercise...what would you prefer to do instead? Trying anything on the water

Comment

I love the gym. I go 6-7 times a week (when in town). At first, waking up at 5am to get going was a hassle but I was getting soft around the edges.
              Sadly, since I've been on the road...i feel quite flubby.  8O

Personal trainers are a great investment.
              And I'm the geek with antibacterial swabs who wipes everything down before they use it. And just incase, I wipe my own hands after using the equipment.

When I don't go to the gym what do I do for exercise? I get fat.  8O I reach for the remote over and over...it really works out my arms. If i'm really pumped up, I'll reach for the chips.  8O

This whole ordeal/post has made me feel quite..."fluffy".
              *looks around and reaches for chili cheese burrito*  8O
              Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
              Alexa Rae
              Co-President of CAK
              MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

any local gym is fine, just don't go to those state wide chain stores, they rape you off on the price, you are paying waaaaaaaaay too much...

Comment

Once upon a time I worked out 5-6 times a week plus cardio plus whatever sports I participated in.  Now, I chase after my son.  I can definitely notice the difference in energy levels, pain levels, and the what not.  As I get older, I feel these differences even more.

Get your exercises however you get it and don't worry what your SO thinks.  Let them do their thing and you do yours.  The cost of memberships vary and I can get a good workout at home using my body weight and resistance (gravity)  Nutrition is vital.  And if you don't leave home, you have no need to wipe others sweat off you except when they attack your body b/c you're so damn buff!

If you like gyms, go to them.  Find what motivates you and stick with it.  And stop caring what other people think, especially your SO.   :wink: You'll both be happier.
                  Painting the world with drool and poop since 2007! ~ Papa Greg

Comment

Well you wanted both sides of the fence.. so.. heres my opinion

1. Fitness is something you do for yourself. If you are doing it for someone else you are doing it for the wrong reason.

2. If your SO is truly S, they will not care one way or the other.

3. Alexa believes in personal trainers and going to the gym. And thats fine, but I believe in having the iron fortress in your garage. More money up front but.. it is a LOT easier to motivate yourself to walk to the garage than it is to go to the gym plus in the long run its a lot cheaper. I paid $1300 for a really nice olympic setup about ... six years ago, no.. crap I'm old, it's been about eight, I still have it, and still use it from time to time and it still doesn't cost me anything per month to keep. Then again, there are some who go to the gym to be seen so that would defeat the purpose of a home gym.

4. I hate sharing equipment with other people.. for one they mess up your timing, I rest x amount of time between sets.. so yeah, technically, for three minutes I'm not going to be using the machine but that doesn't mean i want to wait 10 minutes for you to get done so that I can hit my next set. You have 45 mins to an hour to do whatever you are going to do before your body is done.. so that time matters. Plus, they always mess up the weights, either stacking on more than you can use, or take off so much that its rediculous so you waste even more time setting back up.

5. I saw someone poop once while squatting, it was gross.

6. my personal opinion is, train at home. You cant top your own gym.

7. It was really really gross.
                    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
                    Co-President of CAK

Comment

oh David....ew. Just ew.

LMAO. you should bust out your body builder pictures. H-U-H-L-A-R-I-O-U-S.
                      Paaaaaaalease...post a few.
                      Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
                      Alexa Rae
                      Co-President of CAK
                      MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

She gets cranky when she's fluffy
                        Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
                        Co-President of CAK

Comment

LOL I disapprove of squatting exercises from now on.... 8O
                          Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Comment

Sqauts are one of the best movements you can do.

The sad part is so many people do them wrong....

Comment

In my early days, a gym was either a place to study boxing, or the place you went for P.E. when the weather was bad in high school.

For most of my life, I was able to maintain an average body weight of about 190. Now at 52, I'm pretty much just thankful to be here and not so concerned with my physical appearence... :)

It's really tough when you quit smoking and replace that hand to mouth habit with snacks...I could benefit from a few hours in the gym ...that's for sure.

CF
                              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
                              X