Keep your Bettas warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep your Bettas warm

Got a lot of small betta tanks and no heat ?  
    Put them all on a SS baker's rack, put a 10g tank w/heater on the bottom shelf and wrap a shower curtain around the rack to keep the humidity & heat in.
    Or, here are 4 other heating options

1. 20 by 48 seed mat - http://homeharvest.com/propagationaids.htm

2. Hydrokable wire- routed board - 100W for 2 by 4 with thermostat

3. Repti Heat Cable- use with wire rack-

4. Flexwatt tape you must construct yourself ..
    Bean Farm is a trusted reptile supply store offering herpetological and husbandry products worldwide. Quality at a fair price since 1991. We stock top brands for reliable, safe reptile and amphibian lighting, heating, bedding, cage, healthcare, snake handling equipment, husbandry tools, books, and more.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: Keep your Bettas warm

How would one set option 2? Do you just run the cable outside of the tanks to connect them?

Comment

I would buy a cheap metal shelf unit.  Run the heater cable on the underside of the shelf and place the thermostat in the fish container furthest away from the controler.   There by heating the shelf to 82-84 deg f and the shelf keeping all the betta containers warm.  
      Chose the wattage baised on how cool the room temperature is or add up the gallons from all your tanks, double it and use their recomended sizes.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have a spare closet in my bed room. It is lined with shelves and the shelves are lining up with small tanks filled with killies and bettas. I use one of those IR heat lamps in the ceiling outlet with a rheostat device attached. I can regulat the temperature easily that way. In the past, I use Bob's method of a SS rack covered with bubble wrap and a large aquarium with a heater on high on the bottom rack. This became my sump with all tanks draining there and filling from there after filtration. All gravity fed except for the pump out of recycled water. I may build something like it in the near future.
        sigpic
        No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
        AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
        LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
        AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
        NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
        MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Comment

Thanks PhishPhreek,  I finally got two giant bettas (King Bettas) in the Petco in FM 1960.  I think the room temperature (60-80) is o.k for the bettas.  Back then, I used to have a bucket in my back yard that had water, so I decided to put a long tail betta in it to control the mosquitos.  One winter, the early cold front were coming and I totally forgot about my betta.  Next morning the water on the top layer of the bucket was frozen and my betta's body was stiffed.  I thought he was gone for sure, but when I slowly warm the water up to 70, he began to swim and recovered.
          -125 gallons: 1 SR Arowana, 1 red tail giant gouramy, 1 Giraffe Catfish.

-55 gallons: 18 clown loaches, 28 corydoras, 2 golden algae eaters, 3 moonlight gouramies, 6 tiger barbs.

Comment

What color are your Giants ?
            I've never lost a betta to cold (I keep a gas heater for backup) But I have lost a few to the Texas Summer Heat.
            My first bunkhouse had a direct drive pump and it heated the water up 10 deg over fish room temp and in the summer the fish room got to 90+

Comment

Hi PhishPhreek,

One of them is blue with black head and red fin.  The other one is red with black head and green tin.  They are about 2.25" - 2.5''.  I really don't know if they still grow to be 100% giant or they are 75% giant.  

BTW, How large was your giants when you bought them from Thailand?

-55 gallons: 18 clown loaches, 28 corydoras, 2 golden algae eaters, 3 moonlight gouramies, 6 tiger barbs.

Comment

4" at 18 weeks

Comment

Wow... 4" at 18 weeks.  Were your bettas long tail or plakats?  How is your Mac breeding?

Comment

Working...
                  X