Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BETTA MACROSTOMA

hello,

I'm a b. macrostoma and .b rubra breeder from Portland, OR. I have a large spawn of these betta macrostoma juveniles, 4 months olds at size 1.25"-1.50, that I wanted to sell off before the winter rolls in because I don't want to put these macs at risk shipping them in cold weather.

I'm selling them in a group of 8 macs for $200 + s/h. If you interested in getting these, sent me an email to the_bentusi@yahoo.com

This is the photo of the actual spawn.

Photos of the actual parents.[

Photos of an illustration of flaring males.

For more infos, please visit my website, thread, youtube, and galleries here.

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Secure the right domain name for your business or website today. Custom tailored payment plans available to fit any budget.

Thank you.

Re: BETTA MACROSTOMA

I want some,  anyone want to split a shipment ?

This fish is becoming an endangered species.  The fish is protected by the Sultan of Brunei, who likes the fish. It's prohibited to be in possession, to try to catch, or to keep the fish in a tank in Brunei. Please remember that they still have corporal punishment in that country, so do NOT try to smuggle the fish out of Brunei.

Requires painfully pure and very soft acid water, pH <6.5 (90% RO), with a strong current, filtration over active peat. Large tanks are also advised, the fish can swim extremely fast, and have been known to kill themselves by swimming against the tank glass. Tanks should be covered extremely well, as Betta macrostoma is an excellent jumper, and is susceptible to cold air. Lot's of hideouts, especially floating plants, and very frequent large waterchanges. An UV filter is strongly recommended.

MOUTH BROODER - The betta macrostoma has one of the most unique breeding rituals in the betta world. The male and female will embrace each other near the bottom of the tank. From their, after many embraces, eggs will begin to fall from the female. The female will most often awake from the embrace first and gather the eggs in her mouth. The male may pick a few eggs from the bottom as well. The female will swim away with the eggs. The male will next find the female and she will spit some eggs into his mouth.  The male incubates 14 days.

IBC Info
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Dang those are awesome!

When you want to order Bob? I need to move first but man I would love some of those!
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'm working on a caresheet, and a how to breed macrotoma guide, which should be done pretty soon. When I got them done, I will send to all my buyers each a copy.

Comment

I might be down to split with you. I've been eying these for a few months now.
          So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Man, those look clean!

Hope someone in Houston gets them....we need home town supply.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

OK, I have it from reliable sources that Bentusi / Tri Kim Li is good people and I am going to order some.
              If you want to get in on the group order,  (4 minimum to assure you get a pair) PM me and be prepaired to paypal me $100,  on or before the 15th of October
              I will place an order on the 17th for shipping on the 20th.  I will pay the shipping.  Receive the fish and set up a meeting place somewhere inside the loop for pickup.

Have a tank ready when they come in.  You will need a 15g or 20long with soft acid water and a good cover.  Other than driftwood, java fern or java moss I don't know of anything that will survive in such a low pH environment.  Can you plant gurus help us out here ?

JR
              I know the guy and that is where my Macs came from.  They can live 15 to 20 years and sell for $300 a pair.  You will see some at the convention as I can control the water.  I raise mine at 4.8 to 5.8 Ph.  The reason for the low Ph is that is where they come from this is the normal Ph and they have no immunity to diseases that live in the higher Ph.  I feed mine live crickets at least once a week but they are not picky eaters and so well on high protein flake food.  They will eat most anything but want a lot of it.  Hence it’s name Big Stomach.  To maintain low Ph water I have found it remains stable if you bring it down to below the level you want and then back up to the desired level.  I always keep a bucket of prepared water ready for their PWC.  I use an external filter as they like moving water.  I always cover the inlet with rearticulated foam.  You can find it at home depot.  It is the foam used for weather striping.  I drove down to get mine.
              "Walden Nida"
              (Dallas)

JR
              If I remember right his name is Tri Kim Li.
              that is if the pics take you to macrostoma.net
              "Gerald Griffin"
              (Oklahoma)
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Man.....such short notice!

I don't think I can stabalize a tank with that low of pH that fast. I would be interested in placing an order at a later date if anyone is interested then.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It gets cold in Origon a lot earlier than it does down here.

Comment

Hello,

Below are parameters of these macs living in.

pH: 6.0-6.5 (sometimes shifted up/down a little due to water changes)
                    TEMP: 74F (stabled at this temp most of the time)
                    Ammonia: 0 (sometimes goes up to 1.0)
                    Nitrite: 0 (sometimes goes up to 2.0)
                    Nitrate: 10-20

Food: frozen blood worm and tetra color.
                    Filter: Fluval 305 with sponge and biomax only.
                    Light: Dim light. Coralife T5 double with 1 6700K bulbs, no Colormax bulb used.
                    Cover: Plastic canvas and acrylic sheet. Yes, these little macs do jump.
                    Water: mixed RO and tap. I lost track of the ratio, but a lot more tap water than RO now.
                    Heater: No.

These macs born in 100% RO at pH 5.0-5.5. As they grow, I added more tap water, because of too many water changed, I lost track of the percentage of RO water remain, but there are more tap water in their tank than RO after months of water changed.

The tap water is prepared at least 24hrs before add to their tank, with a lot of catappa leaves. I used Acid Buffer to lower the pH, and Alkaline buffer to rise the pH, catappa leaves and peat are use to stabilize the pH.

Stable pH is very important to these macs, but if there is just about 0.5 pH fluctuation, the macs might be stress swimming up and down against the glass, but it won't kill macs.

These macs need extremely clean water,  at zero is best.

So if your tank pH is 6.0-6.5, then it is perfect, if not you still can acclimate them well using dripping method.

Comment

these fishes seem like they take a lot of care......too much care for me.  But still a really nice fish to have. :wink:
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

they are quite impressive.....
                        PP you get them and breed them for us here....and aclimate them to a little better ph for us so they wouldn't be so tedious to keep.....
                        couldn't they be aclimated to say a ph like we keep our rams and discus in?.....if he has them in 6.5...if you could bring them up to about 7.0 that would be great....my ram and discus tank is at 7.2 right now.....but they do have a very cool temp on the water there too.....
                        you get em and make Texans out of em first.....

Comment

OMG TRI!!!
                          How dare you sell Macrostomas in My Market... Stealing my Business!!!!!

it's me.. Marc ("ventralfins"... www.ventralfins.com.)

just kidding....haha... good to know you are still alive.
                          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson";p="
                            these fishes seem like they take a lot of care......too much care for me.  But still a really nice fish to have. :wink:
                            IF IT WAS EASY, ANYONE COULD DO IT.  

Comment

Tri,
                              Are these F1?
                              Are the parents from Sarawak or Brunei?

I'm thinking of getting back into Macs.

Marc
                              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
                              X