shellie behavior? (multi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shellie behavior? (multi)

this will probably be a little long, but bear with me...

so I've got 5 multis.  2 that are big, probably males, 2 that are small, probably females, and one that is kinda inbetween.
    There are plenty of shells... prolly about 30.
    They are on pool filter sand in a normal 20, not a 20L

I got them 3 or 4 weeks before hurricane Ike, during that time I never saw any kind of hierarchy form or any digging behavior that they are known for.

when the power went out because of Ike I moved them to college station for a week, at the end of this week a pit had started to form and one of the males was definitely the odd one out...

I moved them back to my house after that week, and now 2 weeks later I haven't seen any of those behaviors return.

All I can figure is while in college station they were in a basically unoccupied bedroom and in my house they are in the living room, which has a ton more activity then the bedroom.

anyone have any ideas on how to get them to settle in in my living room?

Also I've noticed that occasionally they flash against the shells or stone, They've done it the whole time I've owned them.  I've never seen any signs of Ick or velvet, and they all have a healthy appitite, is there any treatment I should do?

Re: shellie behavior? (multi)

I'll do my best to...bear with you...have been for over two years now  :kissu:
    Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Comment

How's your water parameters compared to that of CollegeStation?

The flashing could be caused by pH spikes/drops as well as other parameters fluctuating more then they like.

As for the behavior it could be sparked by the same reasons since they felt more comfortable in CST but then again it could have been many things. How are the shells placed throughout the tank? Multis are colonial breeders and in the wild they are found in shellbeds which only set boundaries within the shells set by hierarchy is placed. Might want to consider adding a bit more to your group.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Give them some time. Sometimes when I bother my Black Occies they will act weird for awhile.
        So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

the PH has been stable around 8.3 at my house.

all the other normal parameters stay at 0, with nitrates between 5-15 before a water change.  more so close to 5 now that I dont have dead ones stuck in shells... or at least not as many dead...

the shells are pretty evenly distributed throughout the floor of the tank...

at Kims apartment in College Station the PH is about 7.8  I dont know how the hardness compares...

Comment

I feel bad because when they took an extended vacation to CS and the hierarchy among them showed its true colors more than it ever has in the Woodlands. The PH is CS is around 7.6 to 7.8...my fish have always been happy. I mentioned the idea of bringing some of my water here next time I visit to maybe mix it and see if there is a difference in behavior. The townhouse has always had a pretty constant PH when I've tested.
            Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Comment

Working...
            X