New custom 300 gal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New custom 300 gal

I am planning to order a 300 gallon glass aquarium from glasscages.com within the next couple of weeks so that I can meet their deadline for their Houston delivery on July 10.  This tank will be a room divider.  I will be using an Aquaclear 300 wet/dry fed by overflows on each end of the aquarium (one end of the tank is butted against a pillar and the other is about 3.5 inches from the wall).  I felt like this would be the best placement for the overflows since they will not hinder veiwing from the sides since a wall and pillar are blocking it anyways and it would minimze obstructing the view from the front or rear glass.  I will also be using an Eheim 2260 with upgrade pump (634 gph) that will feed back into the tank to a reverse flow undergravel filter.  Basically, the UGF will be made up of a bunch of PVC running the entire bottom of the tank with small holes drilled and then covered with crushed coral.  The concept is that the UGF will be a really good bio filter while keeping the gravel free of gunk that a typical UGF normally sees.  And since the tank will house mostly cichlids that like to dig the reverse flow won't be hindered by a section of uncovered "filter"...

So, now to my questions:
    1.  I've never used a wet/dry filter and I want the look to be as professional as possible.  What size holes should I have glasscages drill?  They say that overflows typically have a 1-1/2" drain and 1" supply.  Is this enough?  (Oh yeah, I'll be using a mag 12 for the wet/dry's sump.)

2.  I was thinking to have the 2260 hoses run next to the tank on the back wall (about 3-4 inches of space to work with) and running along either side of the end overflow... For looks, should I just have glasscages drill a hole in the middle of the tank to feed the filter??  If so, what size?  I know that the more holes drilled on the bottom of the tank the more chances for a disaster!

3.  As you can see from the pics, I've already destroyed my wall and am currently proceeding with building the stand.  Support is made up of a bunch of 2x6's and then I'm using 4 4x6's followed by 2x12's running the length of the top that the aquarium will be sitting on.  Well, it will be sitting on foam on top of that.  Do you think this looks to be adequately supported?  I'm doing this to have room for drawers and cabinets... my goal is to make this thing look as nice as possible, but since I'm not a carpenter whatsoever we'll see if I end up hiring someone for the facing, drawers, and cabinets doors....

Let me know what you think!  Any suggestions are more than welcomed!

-Peter

Okay, I can't figure out how to post pics so here's the link to my Picassa web address:  http://picasaweb.google.com/peterp63/AquariumProject02

Re: New custom 300 gal

Peter,

Nice work so far.  I would use one overflow which if looking into the living room would be in the left hand corner on the side pane similar  to this

For you eheim.... I would drill two holes in the bottom of of the tank for the eheim.

Comment

why one overflow?  where would you locate the return line?  spraybar?

Comment

Why one overflow?

You want people to focus on the three viewable side and not see the inside an overflow.

The return line for the wetrdy will be place in the overflow box

A spraybar can be custom built to extend from one of your overflow returns to run the distance of your tank

why are you using a ugf?

Comment

Both sides of the tank will be covered by the wall and the pillar (pictured).  So, I figured I could "hide" a custom-sized overflow behind the pillar and have another one on the end by the wall.  More water movement?  

Reverse flow UGF would be to increase bio-filtration by utilizing the gravel bed and this would be run with the canister filter.  I know that the 2260 has a lot of volume for bio-filtering but this would just increase what I got.  Also, the reverse flow UGF helps keep the substrate clean... so I've heard.

Whas size holes should I drill for the suction/return lines for the canister filter?  Where should they be drilled??

Thanks for the help, Delock!

Comment

Ok..

I'm not a big fan of ugf and unless you going with a 4 inch gravel bed  regular cleaning will keep the gravel clean.  I would place to holes about 16 inches from each side panel dead center of the tank and have your return on the opposite end of your oveflow for increase water movement.

bigger enough for 3/4 inch bulkeads..

Comment

Thanks Delock. I am still debating whether or not drilling for my canister filter inlet and outlet would be best. Looks-wise it probably will, but having all of these holes on the bottom glass is scary.

Okay to sum up the filtration: it looks like I will be using one built-in overflow on the end next to the wall that will extend nearly the entire side. This will feed a ProClear 300 wet/dry and have four holes (two 1-1/2" drains and two 1" supply). The return from the wet/dry will use one supply hole - Mag 12 pump - and it will utilize both drain holes. Debating whether or not I'll use the other hole for the return from the canister... if I really decide to go with the reverse flow UGF (jets) either way will work. The feed to the canister will likely be from a hole drilled in the bottom glass near the opposite end of the overflow. This will maximize water movement.. I think. And I will attach a UV sterilizer to the return from the canister... I think.

Anyone have experience with UV filters? Two options: 1) canister filter return - 634 gph (on label) 2) Mag 12 return - 1200 gph on label.... not sure what these equate to after compensating for head pressure and everything.

ANYTHING WILL HELP..

Comment

you can drill way more holes in the bottom of your tank! Are you coming to the meeting on Friday? I can show you what I'm talking about.

Comment

Where's the meeting at?  I don't know anything about meetings or anything...  I am intersted though.

Comment

GHAC meeting....

Go to the ghac forum for details...

The meeting is Friday downtown at my place

Comment

I believe I have herd people say that a 1" Drain is rated for 800gph.  So if your pump is 1200 gph, your going to need (2) 1" Drains to keep it covered.

Your 2260 has a 1" (25mm) suction and a 5/8"(16mm) Discharge.  Personally I would run the suction of the canister out of the overflow box you have at the end.  The discharge of the canister should come up on the non-overflow side of the tank.  What I suggest you do is upgrade your 2260 with the 1262 pump.  The same pump will fit where the 1260 used to be, but you will make 900gph instead of the 634gph.  HAve the spray bar be at the surface aimed at the the overflow box.  The output stream of the 1262 pump reaches about 5 ft in a 150 gallon aquarium (60inches).

What are the dimensions of your aquarium and height from ground floor?

Nice aquarium...is it made of glass or is it acrylic?
                      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

that is not his aquarium.

Comment

Yeah, that one is not mine, but I hope it's as nice as Delock's.  I will be ordering mine this week from glasscages.  What is the difference between taking suction to the canister from the overflow box versus a hole drilled on the bottom glass elsewhere?  Wouldn't you be afraid that you could starve the canister filter's pump because you would be using the overflow to feed both the canister filter as well as the wet/dry?

Comment

Yes you can. If you lose power you will atleast keep water in the canister if you have the return and drain install the bottom of the tank. Plus, I leave my 2260 on during water changes which give me great filtration during water changes.

Comment

I was looking at the aesthics of keeping hoses and holes out of the tank. but I forgot about poweroutages, that would cause serrious issues.

What if the overflow had bottom holes also, Derek..whould that work?
                              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
                              X