Styrofoam underneath aquariums??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styrofoam underneath aquariums??

How many of you guys/girls have styrofoam underneath your aquariums.  Is this used for even weight distribution in the event that your stand if not symmetrical?  I have never done this before.  I am going to order a custom tank off of glasscages.com and part of their warranty states that the tank must be sitting on top of a sheet of 3/4" styrofoam.  I'm confused.  PLEASE HELP.. also, where can you buy sheets of styrofoam?  My tank will be 8' by 2'.....

Re: Styrofoam underneath aquariums??

I would think you could buy it from home depot or lowe's. Unless the tank is shipped with the styrofoam wrapped around it. But I have never heard of using styrofoam under a tank. I am currently using egg crate from home depot in my S/W tank under the sand just in case my fish knock over any rocks.

Edit: you could even try a craft store or as a last resort: take a couple of styrofoam ice chest and cut them into squares.
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

A lot of people use styrofoam....and if you are getting a tank from glasscages I would use the styrofoam as their disclaimer states.

I have used it in the past for those crap stands that are all warped.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If I was to use a "cushion" of some sort, I would use a 1/4 inch piece of corkboard, also available from HD, or Lowe's.

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I would use the styrofoam, because you do not really want to do anything that would void a waranty.

It is always good practice to do so, but it is unsightly.  It is up to you and your best decision to live with or not.

Best of luck!

Geoff
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I use that pink insulation that you can get from HD or lowes.
            It should be large enough to fit under your tank.
            www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Corkboard is not gonna give to unevenness like styrofoam would and having seen a few tanks from glasscages(rimless/trimless) I would go the extra mile to add it for added assurance.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

lowes has 4'x8' sheets of foam - for insulation.  I have used it under several tanks.  I don't know if it comes in 3/4" thickness, but it's fairly dense.  I think it was 1/2" thick.  Contact glasscages and see if using 2 pieces will do it - that would give a total of 1" thickness, and one sheet cut lengthwise would fit just right.
                The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

I use the blue foam from Lowes when I think it's necessary to use a foam barrier under the tank. It's a denser foam than the white stuff and doesn't leave the little white snow everywhere when you have to cut it.

Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Actually, to be honest, I don't have any "buffers" or cushions under any of my tanks, maybe I should, but no one ever mentioned it to me when I bought the new tanks from the LFS, and there hasn't been but one or two threads dedicated to this topic that I can remember.

I can see where it could be a good idea, and provide a bit of peace of mind for some.

CF
                    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Well if your stand/floor is really out of whack then it's a good idea to use it either under the tank or the stand.....but with the glasscages tanks which are usually rimless/trimless/braceless it is a must.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their response.  I will check out what they have at Lowe's and Home Depot and there's also a Bison Building Materials yard nearby that I can visit.  Cheers!

Comment

ok, does this mean i need to put something under my ADA 120p?  ADA has this garden matt (i think made of rubber) thing that i did not buy (its $40+tax), should i buy this?
                          65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
                          55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
                          30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

bust out a level and see how much your off, if it's a 1/4" or more, I would get the garden mat. styrofoam underneath an ada tank would sort of take away from the minimalist appeal IMO

Comment

If you cut it nice and cleanly, then blacken the edge with a big magic marker, it almost disappears when the water-filled tank compresses it.

Mark
                              What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X