WHAT KIND IS IT????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT KIND IS IT????

This is the best picture I could come up with of a catfish I acquired while scooping shrimp from Mike's planted tank.  I have never seen one like it and most of the time it looks like a piece of driftwood.  It doesn't even swim quickly away when disturbed....it more or less kind of drifts to another place to literally hang out.
    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Re: WHAT KIND IS IT????

Banjo cat I believe.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i concur, it appears to be a banjo cat or something very similar.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Having had one they have big mouths and eat other smaller fish at night.
        Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by MateFrio";p="
          Having had one they have big mouths and eat other smaller fish at night.
          Isn't that most all catfish?  
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

oh...this one doesn't do much of anything, but I am on my way to look it up :-) Thanks!!
            edit: YUP that's it :-) I thought I had a piece of driftwood or bark when I got home.  I picked it up, realized it was soft and put it in the tank and honestly thought it was dead.  When it was in a different spot the next day, I realized it was just a kind of peaceful fish :-)
            5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
            29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
            / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Does Mike know you fishnapped a fish?  
              A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

I can just about guarantee he doesn't mind.  He knows my fish are very happy, fat, and get the best ;-)
                *giggling*
                / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Comment

Btw: Nice catfish. :wink:

Comment

tyvm....I like him... that's why I wanted to know what kind he is.  I hated saying "the driftwood looking thingy"
                      / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Why would Mike have Banjo cat with shrimp? or To control the shrimp population.
                        100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
                        30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

I'm not positive it was an intentional thing.  He had a ton of shrimp in that tank at the time.  I know I got like 100 and two other people scooped after me.  My little "banjo" is only 2 1/2 inches long and flat as a pancake....well, a little thinner.
                          / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Originally posted by thomas";p="
                            Why would Mike have Banjo cat with shrimp? or To control the shrimp population.
                            Circle of Life.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                            X