Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottomless Fish Tank

How many can figure out how this works?
    WHY AN OPEN BOTTOM TANK ?Very suitable for those busy people who have no time at all to maintain their tank yet love to keep one at homeSubmersible biologica...
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Re: Bottomless Fish Tank

i thinkits kinda bs. in principle if there was an open top to the tank it would drain out into the pond. if it was a closed system then then it would need an air pressure release since they had stones running. more likely it was just an aquarium inside a pond. you know laws and physics and all.
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Water pressure is equalized....

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

because the top is closed off?
        ADA mini-m planted
        ADA mini-m riparium
        ADA 30-C nano reef
        ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
        ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
        Eheim 90cm SA biotope
        110g Peacocks

Comment

YES, it's a closed environment, with a balance of pressure from the two parts....one tall and narrow, one short and wide....

I'm sure the top is closed, else it would not be possible to maintain pressure. I would like to see it drained and filled though to make sure.... :)

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

if you look at the video real close.. you will see a side shot.. and the area where the fish come in and out is very small thin opening..... I believe that the pump brings water in at a rate the same or faster than the opening will allow it to drain.... let say you turn the pump off... and it take that amount of water 1 minute to drain... then you need a pump that would be capable of pumping water in faster than the 2 minute drain rate....... if the pump fails... I think water would over flow onto the floor... I am sure he has a back up emg pump and catch plate for sure an instance.... look close the bottom is hardly open.... great invention I have to say... original...

and the tree has to be 2 pieces to look as though it is one piece..... the rocks are sitting on a glass bottom...
            Had about 900 gallons now I am tired and selling them off...

Comment

I saw that on another forum.....it can't be closed top cause there is the air pump pumping in which the bubbles are flowing upwards.....unless he doesn't show it would eventually build up at the top and force water out the bottom.

This is similar to the AGA contestant's tank....
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

okay... i have a theory...

The "bottomless" part is indeed a glass tank that is inverted into the pool of water at the bottom.
                He uses an air pump or a powerhead or something not unlike those used in overflow filters or skimmers to evacuate the air out of the inverted tank.
                This removal of air causes water to be sucked in from the pool at the bottom and up into the tank.
                When he gets to a certain desired height (probably enough so that the hydrostatic pressure of the water doesn't break the vaccumn above the water column), the outlet of the pump is then placed back under the water such that it "blows" the air back under the inverted tank.
                This causes the effect of an airstone going on within the raised water column.

this way the airstone can still function under the inverted tank and still maintain the vaccumn above the water.
                www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Check this out:
                  Roumaurie Effect
                  www.ventralfins.com

Comment

It looks like the vertical inverted tank has all side except the front flat agains the bottom of the horizontal "wide" tank.  The front glass of the inverted tank is a couple inches short allowing the fish to travel between tanks.  I agree with the air pump (recycling the air) idea.
                    Raul
                    PokerFace

Comment

Guy has to have one heavy duty vacuum pump (positive displacement) connected to a bulkhead penetration on the top.  Something like a well pump that draws water up a 32' pipe.  Once the vacuum is established and the water sucked up to the "top" all the pump has to do is take out more air than the airstone lets in.
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                      X