X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Species Maintenance Program (SMP)

ALA posting  -

Allotoca goslinei                 3/26/08 version
    (photo is attached as a WORD document. If you cannot open it, try this link:
    http://www.photoshop.goodeids.com/ma...?g2_itemId=339)  
    Background
    Allotoca goslinei is a goodeid also called the "banded Allotoca."   Beginning in 1996, this fish was  found almost exclusively in the Rio Potrero Grande, a tributary river of the Rio Ameca in the state of Jalisco, Mexico. One specimen was found in the immediately adjacent Rio Ameca itself so this area should not be overlooked in future collection trips. Water temperature in this part of the Mexican uplands rarely rises above 68 degrees which makes goslinei a relatively colder water fish. Water depth tends to be 6-12". pH is 7.5-8.5.

The fish was declared "Endangered" in the John Lyons report of 2005.  It is now thought to be "Critically Endangered" and, possibly, extinct in the wild. The last known capture was in 2004. Hence the need to increase stocks in the hobby.

Characteristics
    This is a stocky fish with a small pointed head.  The dorsal fin is set way back on the body.  Both males and females can have a dark spot on their flanks, but not all will show this. The fish reaches a size of only 2-2 1/2". Sexual maturity, however, can be reached when it is about half grown (as early as three months.)

Care and Feeding
    A pair of these fish will do well in a 20 gallon long tank. They need lots of hiding places.  Rounded rocks of various sizes to hide adults and fry can cover the bottom sides and back and there should be an abundance of plants.  A. goslinei does best in multigenerational colonies and will flock breed like other goodeids once a properly balanced community is achieved.  This can be achieved by putting successive spawns (after a week or two of feeding in their breeding tank) in a separate, dedicated tank so that, as the fish mature, they become used to co-habiting with young fish.  The fish can, however, be bred initially in pairs. A predominance of  live food is recommended which can include baby brine shrimp, blood worms, HBH Supersoft with Krill and glass worms.  Flake food can be offered from time to time.  More mature fish can get by on just flake and snails when not breeding during a winter rest. Feed at least two times a day.

Breeding
    As previously noted, goslinei can tolerate lower temperatures in the native habitat and in garden tubs, but they seem to breed better in higher temperatures in captivity - 72-74F. When the female begins to look nicely rounded, remove her or her tank mates as tankmates can be brutal on fry.  A typical spawn from a mature female can be about 30 fry. (An ALA record spawn was 67 from a large and pampered adult.)

How to Purchase
    The special SMP price is $12.00 a pair of breeding-sized adults.  Shipping and handling via Priority Mail is now up to $12.00.  Alternatively, some pairs should be available at the ALA Convention in May in San Antonio.

If you are interested in purchasing this fish, email me at…

tcrane2@att.net

…and let me know if you want to purchase at the convention or have the fish shipped to you by a supplier.  If the latter, I will put you in touch with one.

For the Record
    Once you have the fish established and breeding, please send me a follow-up email to that effect.  The measure of success of SMP will be our ability to show that we have significantly increased the number of hobbyists who are breeding extinct and endangered fish. Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Fish Keeping!!!
    Tom Crane
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: Species Maintenance Program (SMP)

Neat looking fish!

Anyone planning on bidding on some in San Antonio? I have to leave on Saturday the 3rd, so I won't be able to be at the auction.   :(
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

You can just  leave your money with me  :wink: , I'm sure I can find something to bid on with it  :mrgreen:
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

:P

So, is that a 'no?'  :wink:

Comment

Seriously, if there are any there, would you like me to bid on some for you?

Comment

I'd love to go, but it's still up in the air.  Some medical problems are taking harsh cuts into my fish budget.  I can probably find 12$ for a pair of these guys (maybe even 2 pair) but the cost of the trip itself would be way out of range.   I'd like to find out if there's a supplier in the Houston area - otherwise shipping costs will probably nix the whole thing for me.
            The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
            Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

From the letter it sounds like they are for sale rather than being auctioned.  If that's the case you may be able to get them on Saturday and not wait until Sunday for the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by szidlon";p="
                Seriously, if there are any there, would you like me to bid on some for you?
                Hmm...I've got to think about it. I've kind of turned away from livebearers, just because I always run out of room.  :)  But this is different. I'll do a little reading, and let you know. Thanks!

Spot - hope everything works out okay with you.

Edit - Just saw your other post, Szidlon. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Comment

If you are interested in purchasing this fish, email me at…   
                                 tcrane2@att.net
                  and let me know if you want to purchase at the conveon

Tom Crane
                  FOB  San Antonio
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                  X