breeding bettas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breeding bettas

what size tank can we breed bettas in? 1/2 gal? 5 gal? 10 gal? does the size really matter?

Re: breeding bettas

a 10 gives them plenty of room to run and hide if need be, but I wouldn't go any smaller than a 5.
    So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

I use a 10g metaframe tank with a slate bottom.   The white eggs show up so much better on the gray slate.

Some breeders here in town use an opaque plastic shoe box. Just stick them in the dishwasher to clean & steralize.

I know some that use a 5 or 5.5g tank and some that use a 10g with a divider and breed 2 pair.

You need about 4" of water, a place to hide and a nest protector.   After they hatch you will need a sponge filter on low and a tank cover.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I use a 10 gal tank filled 1/2 full for spawning.
        that way the male doesn't have to swim as far to pick up fallen eggs or wayward fry.

the 10 gal is convinient because i can add water as the fry grow. By the time its time to move to a larger growout tank, the fry will be a decent size, large enough to net safely.
        If you start out with a smaller tank, you'll have to keep transferring fry as they outgrow their smaller tanks.
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

5 gallons is a perfect size to breed bettas in.

Comment

For the past week I have had 5 pairs of bettas in spawn tanks (4 in 10g tanks / 1 young pair in a 5g)
            Fish room at 82f, java moss, styrafoam nest protectors and nothing, not one small bubble nest.
            May have something to do with no new weather fronts coming through.....
            2 days ago I added a crushed almond leaf to each tank, still nothing.
            Today I gave up and removed the white pair and the red pair but when I got to the pastel pair they had a huge bubble nest and it was full of eggs.
            So I left the orange pair and the blue dragon pair in their tanks and crossed my fingers.

Guess I'll start some new microworm cultures tomorrow.
            If anyone is interested, I could bring some to the HAS auction ???
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Is it okay to feed your bettas guppy fry if you don't have access to live brine shrimp? I was going to start a new topic, but I figured it would apply here. I want to breed my bettas again, but in College Station, no one has live brine shrimp and I'm way too busy (and live in a small apartment) to grow my own brine shrimp.

But, I just recently got some guppies from a friend that had too many (hah) and I was thinking that if I just let them breed and do their own thing that I could feed the fry to my bettas. Would that be okay?

Comment

You can buy a hatch n'feed brine shrimp breeder or other types of brine shrimp breeders that are small.
                They run about $20-$25....I run one on my tank. It's good for a treat.

Check ebay...there's nothing like live brine shrimp for your babies.  
                Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
                Alexa Rae
                Co-President of CAK
                MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

If they are large enough to eat guppy fry, they're probably about ready to start weaning to dry foods.

You can try microworms. They are cheap to obtain and you don't have to brew them everyday like BBS.
                  www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Oh, I'm not talking about for the baby bettas, I'm talking about for the adults

Comment

Mosquito Larva, skuds & Daphina are available in the local drainage streams, tubs & old tires.
                      Its not hard to raise some in your backyard.

Currently I am feeding my adult bettas frozen adult brine shrimp but I know a few breeders that feed newly hatched BBS.

Comment

Is there something wrong with guppy feeders?

Comment

Never tried guppies as I like my black & yellow cobras
                          but thats why I have a tank of endlers  

Comment

With the low pressure cell moving in, now is the time to set up your betta spawn tanks.  
                            For some reason, storm fronts seam to trigger a breeding responce in bettas.  Survival instint ??
                            Lets make some lemonade from this lemon.  

Comment

I have 7 spawn tanks set up, wish me luck  :emtthumbs:

Blue Butterfly x white
                              Blue Dragon pair
                              Yellow Dragon pair
                              Black/oranger x orange cambo
                              red pair
                              White pair
                              Pinapple x yellow

Comment

Working...
                              X