Best phase of moon to breed bettas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best phase of moon to breed bettas

My 11yo son remembered someone posting that there is a preferable phase of the moon to breed bettas.  He believes that something was also mentioned about barometric pressure.

Will someone please remind him about those details.  He can't remember exactly what was posted.

Thank you.

Bonnie
    (For 11yo Treston)

Re: Best phase of moon to breed bettas

Bonnie,

PhishPhreek is the resident expert, you might want to give him a pm and see if he can answer those questions for you.

CF

PS....My apologies to Treston, I had to assist another HFB member yesterday.
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

In a previus messaage, I mentioned that breeding bettas can be dificult and there are a lot of urban legents (unproven rumoprs) that it is easier to breed bettas during the full moon, or when a weather front is comming through, or the pH is lower or the weather is warmer.I don't know if any of them are true but I  seem to have better luck when a cold front has come through and when I heat the tank to 82f
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Was this the thread you were talking about?

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I've heard of that pressure thinggie as well.
          Supposedly too high or low of a pressure prevents the bubble nest from holding together.

But that's easily solved by a piece of bubble wrap floating rough side down. That way my guys can breed all year round.
          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Thank you for all of the responses

We really appreciate it.

Bonnie & Treston

Comment

Bonnie.

How many betta's does Treston have?  Just curious.

CF
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I have one.  He is blue.                                                                                                                                                                                
                Treston

Comment

Well, I was given a real pretty red one today for Valentines day, so I will be looking to get answers from you on how to take care of them.....

Thanks

CF

Comment

Surface tension is like gravity; it is the force of the water trying to stick together.   A bubble has two forces.   The force of the air on the inside is trying to get out and the surface tension of the water is trying to hold everything together.   These bubbles will only last as long as the two forces are equal.   Most water bubbles fail due to evaporation and / or high surface tension.    The normal tension of water is 72 dynes/cm at 25°C.    However pure water (DI, RO and distilled) is higher due to the better bonds between hydrogen ions.   Also these bonds will increase if you have hardness due to mineral salts.

So if you want more and better bubbles, use soft acid water and protect your nest from evaporation by insulating it from any nearby heat source (light bulb) with half of a white Styrofoam coffee cup.
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

PhishPhreek,
                                    Thank you for the info. About the bubble nests.      

Treston

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                        Surface tension is like gravity; it is the force of the water trying to stick together.   A bubble has two forces.   The force of the air on the inside is trying to get out and the surface tension of the water is trying to hold everything together.   These bubbles will only last as long as the two forces are equal.   Most water bubbles fail due to evaporation and / or high surface tension.    The normal tension of water is 72 dynes/cm at 25°C.    However pure water (DI, RO and distilled) is higher due to the better bonds between hydrogen ions.   Also these bonds will increase if you have hardness due to mineral salts.

So if you want more and better bubbles, use soft acid water and protect your nest from evaporation by insulating it from any nearby heat source (light bulb) with half of a white Styrofoam coffee cup.
                        Based on this, would you suggest using R/O? without any additives? or adding something to add to a little hardness?

Comment

i have noticed that my bettas bubbles seem to disapate quite a bit with evaporation of water.. and i dont want to add more water to the tank cuz i know it will ruin the bubbles he has already.. the last time i added water i did it with a turkey baster to prevent splashing and bubbles and it seem to work good.. but i think the floating bubble wrap and or styrofoam cup will be added the next time we try to breed our bettas.

Comment

Some males build small nests and some start with a small nest and supersize it after the eggs are there.  If your male doesn't build much of a nest, he may not be in good condition or just not like the female you are showing him.

If your male betta is build a nest and the bubbles keep poping then you need to move the light/heat source back from the nest and cover the tank so you have less evaporation or try atting a tablespoon of salt or other minerals (for DI water) so that the bubbles have higher tensile strength.

My bettas usually breed in 2 or 3 days so I never bother to add water untill after I have removed the male and added a sponge filter.

Those breeder that I know that use RO water add minerals back to the water or mix it with tap water.  I use aged tap water with an almond leaf to make it softer and lower the pH.  If I want really soft acid water for wild bettas, I start with rain water.

Comment

Working...
                            X