Clearer Water in African Cichlid Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearer Water in African Cichlid Tank

I had set up a 6 feet 125 gallon rectangular tank 5 months ago. I have an Eheim 2217 canister filtering the water. I vacume the substrate and replace 25% water once a month and I service the filter once a month one week after I change the water. I have 20 malawi cichlids, 11 giant dinos, and one placo in the tank. There are 4 different spicies of cichlids currently breeding in the tank. I am pretty exciting for them. Somehow I observe tiny white particles floating in the water. How can I clear the water if I do not want to set up mechanical filters hanging behind the fish tank due to the limited space I have behind the tank?

Re: Clearer Water in African Cichlid Tank

There are a couple of things you can do.

1) Add a sponge filter using a power head.

2) Add Nylon Floss in your Canister to polish your water.

3) There are internal canisters or "HOI" - Hang on the Inside filters.

I would kindly suggest doing your maintenance twice a month instead of once.

That's pretty much it, I'm sure others will respond shortly.

Raul
    Raul
    PokerFace

Comment

more water changes and more filtration.
      So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

A 2217 is not sufficient for that size tank, for that amount of fish and for that type of fish. Add more filtration to the tank to get a lot more circulation....at least 10x turnover rate.

Water changes should be bumped up as well.....more like 30-40% weekly if you really want them happy and healthy.

Welcome to the Box!
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you want really clear water then you need to use a diatom filter or a 5 micron paper filter for one day. Once a month should keep it clean, but you can adjust that to repete as necessary.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I perfer adding a sponge filter powered by a powerhead.  Since I already have an Eheim 2217 running, how big a powerhead I should buy?  Is there any product which is sold as a combination of the sponge and powerhead?

Comment

Odyssea offers the pkg deal for really cheap...check out Mike's Tropical fish.

Honestly though I would look into about 2-3 of those in that size tank with that heavy bio-load.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I agree with EK.

We use the Odyssea powerheads and pop 2 connecting sponges on them.  We have them in almost all our tanks.  Be careful with the square sponges (not Odyssea) because we've had the clips break on those.  The cylinder shaped ones that go with the Odyssea powerheads slip together without clips so there is nothing to snap off.  And you can just keep piggy-backing them as much as you want.  We've not gone over 2 sponges per powerhead, but it can be done.  

They have them at Fish -n- Pets Unlimited as well....depending on your part of town.
                Our Fishhouse
                Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I am about 2 hours away from Houston.  Do you guys know the model number of the Odyssea power sponge filter?
                  I also notice Hagen Aquaclear powerhead with powerhead quick filter also clear the water but it doesn't promote microbacteria to grow.  Is it worth it to invest that combo?

Comment

Here's all that is on the one I've got in one of the tanks....

Odyssea Internal Filter
                    EX-250 Deluxe
                    AC: 120v - 60Hz - 12.5 W
                    QMax 250GPH   HMax 1M
                    IPX8

That's all!
                    Our Fishhouse

Comment

I still think you need another canister or a wet/dry.....I have a 2215 on my 20g long and I felt the need to add a Nano 250pgh powerhead in there. :(
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I found an inexpensive Odyssea EX550 internal filter for $19.90.  This filter process 550gph.  Do you know if I have to replace pad or sponge monthly on this filter?  if not, this could be ideal for me.  One store owner tried to talk me into buying undergravel filters.  I grew up with undergravel filters but I read articles about how this kind of filters aren't suitable for cichlid.  Which way should I go, EX550 or undergravel filters?

Comment

I clean my sponges, but have never had to replace them.  

Personally, I would go with the Odyssea over an undergravel filter.  If you ever decide to go from gravel to sand, you will still be able to use the powerhead, but the undergravel filter will be useless.  Just my opinion.
                          Our Fishhouse

Comment

Yeah,  i would go the power head and sponge route, but the 550 might be a bit strong for the sponge....I like and use their (Oddessy) XP350 w/dual sponge.

CF
                            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Doesn't EX550 come with a sponge which fits EX550 or do I need to buy seperate parts to hook them up?

Comment

Working...
                              X