How to make a wet/dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to make a sump?

A wet/dry filter, also referred to as a trickle filter or a bio-tower, is an aerobic filtration method.

From the definitions I have found the only difference is the trickle and aerobic filtration.....both hold extra water and both hide tank accessories....
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

A wet/dry uses bio balls before the water goes into the return tank.
      In a a sump the water goes directly into the return tank.
      Also in a sump it does not have anytype of foam filter for the water.
      This why it is used for a salt water & not fresh water.
      Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
      Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
      Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

This is how i think i'll set the piping up.

I just need to know whether i put sponge/floss(or?) in the first compartment to remove 'crap', then bio balls for the biological filtration. then the rest of the tank can be for the extra water storage, the heaters, the bags of crushed holey rock powder, and whatever else i need to hide.

Comment

For fresh water the bio balls should be placed out of the water 1st. Then a comparment with just water then place the filter in between two walls so the water is forced throu the filter. If you like you can place another wall before the pump to help trap the poor berfore it hits the pump. By doing it this way anything heavier then water will be trap.

Your plumbing is done correctly. You might wont to put some shut off valves after the pump so u can adjust the flow if one side is stronger then he other.
          Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I hadnt thought about shutoffs, sounds like a good idea.

For fresh water the bio balls should be placed out of the water

I dont get it? How do i keep them out of the water?

Comment

You will only need enought water for about 1/3 of the tank.
              So what u do is mount one wall going from the top to bottom 2/3 down. On both sides mount a strip about 1/2" wide. Then use egg crate to hold the bio balls up. You will also need a tray on the top with a lot of holes to allow the water to flow over all the bio balls as evenly as possible.
              Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Something more like this?

(Yeah im bored right now so im playing with publisher.)

Comment

That would be it.
                  If you can wait untill tomorrow. I built a bio ball chamber that I never used. I am not to sure of the meaasurements of it.
                  It does stand on legs so that it is easily to be removed.
                  Its complete with bio balls & tray.
                  Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Yeah i think ive built enough for tonight. I got a frame built for the 135 complete with a shelf for the 55. Only problem is the clearance between the top of the 55 and the top of the stand. Its going to be 3.5-4".

Im going to put the sump together then slide it in to the stand through a side door. then i should be able to connect the hoses because the 55 leaves a foot either side of it to get your hands in there.

I need to dress the stand tomorrow and paint it cherry colour.

Where can i get a pump for it and what output will i need? I was thinking something around 300-400 gph. It will be lifting water about 48-50".

Walter, do you want to trade something for the bioball rack? I have Baby Red cherry Shrimp, Baby ABN (.75"ish), Baby Angels, a Leopard pleco.. umm dont know what else..

Comment

Hmmm....maybe Walter can explain it better cause both my sump and wet/dry go through sponges and both have a chamber in which it will collect water before going back into the tank....

Here's how I would probably do it.

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Slightly related...couple days ago I was brainstorming with Spot and threw this diagram together to show her what I was thinking in my head.  Its for a mini grow out system using a 10g sump.

Its not as nice as your diagram, did mine in MS Paint in a couple of minutes.

Raul
                        Raul
                        PokerFace

Comment

This is what ive got so far.

The top pic is using a bigger pump (more gph), the bottom is using 2 x 526gph pumps that should maintain 305gph each at 4feet of lift.

Comment

Ignore the line in the bottom picture, it was just so i could line up the pumps at the same height.

Comment

And remember its a 55gallon, so the bioballs/drip tray will be 12.5" deep, which you cant tell from a 2D picture.

Comment

Re: How to make a wet/dry

I changed the design after breaking several sheets of plexiglass trying to cut them. I decided to use standard sheets and fit them without cutting them any. Im also getting a 1340 gph pump, but it'll probably do half the gph when it has to raise water 4 feet.

Comment

Working...
                                X