starting a tropheus tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting a tropheus tank

This is my first time starting a tropheus tank. I have a 125gal tank which is the best tropheus to start and how many should I get.
    Have a great day and a better tomorrow

Re: starting a tropheus tank

you should check with geoff_tropheus on here....he's the resident expert and moderator of the tropheous club on the list of forums....he is da bomb when it comes to these magnificent creatures......by the way...welcome to the box and good luck on your endevor with trophs.....

Comment

I am also new to tropheus and the best advice I can give you is to READ READ READ.  There are many places to learn about tropheus online.  I am still learning but here are a few sites that helped....especially sites with a newbie/noob section!

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

ADA mini-m planted
      ADA mini-m riparium
      ADA 30-C nano reef
      ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
      ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
      Eheim 90cm SA biotope
      110g Peacocks

Comment

Welcome to the Box!

With that size tank if you can pull it off funding wise I would go with about 40-50+.

The main thing about trophs is keeping the water super clean and well oxygenated! Then after that it boils down to proper foods/feeding and consistency. Screenname has supplied some great links as well as great sources of info.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

40-50???  how big do they get??

Comment

From what Navarro has told me from his extensive researching they do not stop growing......and after seeing "Tiny" they can get at least 7".

I have 39 in my 125g.......after seeing the Mtoto's at Mike's(TxTropheusTrader's) place my new goal is to gather about 10-20 more, quarantine them and redo the tank so that I can add them all together. Also these are not your average fish....they are colonial so their way of life is revolved around the others around them.....they eat, sleep and $hit together and when those other things are good they do it and make babies   .
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

oh. so there not like other fish. you dont wanna overstock others but this one is ok to do so?  cool  this mike guy is he the one in CS?

Comment

Yes CollegeStation.

With Tropheus they need to be in a decent size colony and if they are not in the ideal set up you will end up with a single BaddA$$.....yes they will be a bit overstocked but that is why it is a must for routine maintenance and not for the weak at heart. It actually doesn't look overstocked.....especially compared to some other fishtanks I have seen..... I had 19Petro Famula's, 39 Troph.Moorii Ilangi along with various size fry in my 125g and it looked full....not overstocked.

It might have something to do with their personality or they way they re-act together but IMO it's AWESOME!!!!! and compared to smaller Ilangi colonies that I have watched the bigger colony has a ton more character!
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i c

Comment

TxTropheusTrader's)
                    i went there and cant find anything about where hes located.  does he do this outta his house or does he have a store??

Comment

He  is located in College Station. What are you looking for?

Comment

no i was wondering if he had a store front or is he workin this outta his home.  like the original poster for this topic is startin a new tropheus tank,  if i was interested in starting one, where would i go to see some fish, and help my decision along to pick the species for me??  does he have a store or what?

Comment

IMO google would be the best to see the different variants as well as some good reading for them.....one needs to fully understand what they are about and what requirements they need.

I have read through literally hundreds of threads where people get them because they are cheap or because they look "cool" and then wind up having serious problems with them eventually killing them. Not saying that they are super duper sensitive and die if you look at them wrong like how all those that screw up make everyone else believe but they do require a bit more attention then your average cichlid. It's sad to read all the threads about tropheus bloating up and dieing.....then there's always blame on food or some other dumb asinine thing when the whole time it was user error.

TxTT, has a fish room in his garage.

IMO from what I have seen and talked about with other Tropheus keepers Duboisi are about the easiest to come by and the most forgiving....also noticed that they are not quite as agro as other variants...
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Duboisi are now the easy one to keep. Since most Duboisi are tank raised they have become stronger over the years since they were first introduced to the hobbyist.

Comment

well thanks for ALL that info. lol. i was mainly curious about him having a store front or just raising them outta home.  you got that with the garage part.  thanks..

Comment

Working...
                              X