metal halides over tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal halides over tank

I want to ask you guys have yall ever put metal halides on top of the tank.  I also wanted to ask if i could put 2x175 with 2x55 pc bulbs or 2x250 with 2x110 vho over my tank.  The first one is only 3feet long which was use on my old 58 oceanic.  The 2x250 was use over the 150gallon my cousin had for saltwater.  I have change one of the 20k bulb with 10k.  The 175 setup one is brand new and one is an old bulb.  I wanted to know could I just put the 3feet one over my tank which is 64 inches long or the 4feet one is better.  The 175 bulbs are cheaper, dont run as much energy, and a little lighter.  The con is that its only 3feet long.  I have the hanger for both but I really dont want to drill some holes on my ceiling.  Could it be done leaving it over the tank?
    180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Re: metal halides over tank

Putting it directly on top of the tank is asking for trouble, either hang it to get good coverage throughout the tank or use one that will.

The best option is to hang it over the tank....most likely the longer one. There are other options besides hanging from the ceiling....like ADA style with arches or you could even make a 2x4 coat hanger type deal over the top of the tank.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you put a MH directly on the glass. It will end up cracking the glass. Not to say any about the temp will increase too.
      The more wattage you use will penetrate more to the bottom. So it depends on how tall of a tank you have & what plants.
      Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
      Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
      Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I have a 400w pendant 8" over an end of a 125. No glass covers and not close to the center  brace ,which it would break. It was originally a salt tank or I wouldn't use so much light over fresh. It is only on 3 Hr a day ;I imagine it is like a tree lined jungle stream with only a short period of direct sun.  A small exhaust fan turns on with the same timer; and, the tank is enclosed so air from the garage, not the AC room area ,blows over the water and out (theoretically).
        I am not getting great plant growth I wanted (Amazon Swords, crypts) for three months. On the other hand I spent $0 for substrate.
        The angels like it ; the biggest pair always lays their eggs on leaves under the main light.

Comment

400w? man run two of those and do your homework on plants and you will be growing all sorts of stuff in there!!!!!

Photosynthesis requires more then just light and they are probably not doing good cause they are starving along with not having enough light cause 3hrs isn't enough.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The reaon he not gettin good growth is because it is a pendant.  I would imagine the one light bulb dont spread that far since its a 125 and its only one bulb.  They only spread 2x2 ft. I think.  Why dont u just put the pendant in the middle rather than at one end?  I think I'm just giong to buy another t5 setup instead of putting my halides up.  One bulb almost equal the amount last time I bought for the t5.
            180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

Working...
            X