DIY Sponge Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Sponge Filters

The sponge I used gave off I soapy discharge when wet.  I thought it was soap at first but someone informed me that it was just lanolins used to keep the synthetic sponge soft.  I hooked up the filter in a bucket of water to try to cycle out some of the lanolins.  I don't think it will hurt the fish, but it has put a thick layer of foam ontop of the bucket, that disappears when you turn off the air.  Is there any good way to get rid of the lanolins, should I not worry about it?

Re: DIY Sponge Filters

Just hold it under a running tap and keep squeezing and releasing until it runs clear. It only takes about 30 seconds and it'll be good.

Comment

run it in the washing machine without soap or bleach.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Or you could boil it for a while.
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

maybe a dumb question.  but i see and read that everyone uses a sponge filter in there fry tank.   well help me out.  i have never seen a sponge filter i guess.  how does it work?  whats a full setup like, is it an airstone or what?  i have a 1.5 gallon hex tank that im usin for some baby fry right now and i dont have anything in there but water changes.  i just put them in there but need something.  i have a fluval sponge filter submersible thing but it is so strong for that little tank it will suck them in.  any suggestions???

Comment

the link below shows some photos of them.  stick an airstone or just an airline down in the tube and it forces water in through the sponge and up and out the top of the tube.  They're great little gizmos - I run them in nearly all my tanks

sponge filters
            The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
            Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

I use these, and I like them, I like to use them in conjuntion with poweheads as well. They do a great job clearing up a tank after you mix up the aquascaping or add sand or something.

CF
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I don't use the ones pictured, I make my own.  

You're right CF - they're awesoem for cleaning a strirred up muddied/clouded tank!
                The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

There is another style of sponge filter, that I myself use, I get them from 249 Fish N Pets for 11.00. It comes with a nice weighted bottom pedistal, and a 4 inch plastic tube of about 3/4 diameter, just about right to fit most power heads.

Check out this link for more details on DIY Sponge Filters:

CF
                  Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I prefer the AZOO filters for small tanks

Pentair is dedicated to excellence in all aspects of our business. Whether you need system design, technical service or unrivaled equipment-you can count on us.
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

thanks.  guys.  i was dumb on those.  so all i need really is a sponge, tube, and an airstone.  it works as the same principle as the undergravel systems that has the tubes with airstones on both ends.   thanks

Comment

Just make sure your sponge is not loaded with chemicals and such.  There are a lot of sponges now that have additives to prevent bacterial growth.
                        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Yeah 249 has some really nice looking ones and good sized for cheap
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

A Dremel with a cutting wheel helps to shape and shave the sponges.
                            So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

If you're going to use them in fry tanks be aware of the pore size as well.
                              Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Working...
                              X