Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Jebo/Odyssea aquariums good products?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Jebo/Odyssea aquariums good products?

Howdy, all...  I'm just getting back into the African Cichlid hobby after being out of it for about 8 years and just joined the Fish Box.  I have a quick question...

Are Jebo aquariums good products?  I suppose I should have asked this question before I agreed to buy one off craigslist, but it seemed like a good deal.  It's the 160 gal (60x25x27.5) with rolled front corners.  Are these glass or acrylic?  

I saw The Hobby Palace in Austin has one listed Tank, Top, Stand (no light) for $425 and Blue Water Aquariums in Houston has Tank, Top, Light, Stand for $700.  That's more along the lines of what I would expect to pay for a new tank, as opposed to the $425.  That just makes me think they might be poor quality.

Could anyone give me the low-down on these?

Thanks for the input,
    Richard A. Neuendorff
    College Station, TX
    neuendri

160 Gal. Odyssea - African Cichlid
    45 Gal. Odyssea - Planted
    35 Gal Corner African Cichlid grow-out
    4-10 Gal African Cichlid Nursery

Re: Are Jebo aquariums good products?

I don't know too much about them, other than the fact that they are new players in the market as far as aquariums go. I have seen their stuff around though, and it all looks pretty nice. I'm pretty sure that is a glass tank you are referring too. Acrylic is very light compared to glass and is pretty easy to id.

CF

Oh...and welcome to the fishbox.....
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Thanks, CF.  

I haven't actually picked it up yet.  I agreed to purchase it last Saturday and am scheduled to make the trip to Round Rock this Saturday to get it.  I initially thought they only did the rolled corners on acrylic tanks, but the current owner says it is glass.  I'm still trying to figure out just how good of a deal I got.

Thanks again,
      Richard
      neuendri

Comment

If the corners are rolled......it's acrylic.  I would just take a look at the seals in the corners and bottom and make sure everything has a good bead of silicone all the way around.  It seems like a good deal.

Comment

It's less than a year old and currently up and running, so I'm not concerned about it leaking... I'm getting the whole shootin' match.  Tank, Top, Lights, Stand, two canister filters (Rena Xp3 and Eheim 2217), two inline heaters, 200 lbs holey rock and fish for $750.  I think it's a good deal, but I wasn't able to find out much about the Jebo line before I agreed to buy it.  Now I'm just trying to calm my nerves after finding the Tank, Top and Stand new for only $425.

Thanks,
          Richard
          neuendri

Comment

Like stated earlier...they are new and the tanks are pretty nice.

Comment

Hi Richard,

Just wanted to let you know that we sell that 160 gallon curved GLASS tank that you are thinking about buying.  It is probably not a JEBO tank, but an Odyssea tank.  It is a really nice modern looking aquarium, and our customers  really like them.  Hope that helps, and enjoy your new aquarium!!  If you would like any more information, just give us a call- 281.286.2238.

Thanks,

The Aqua Zoo

Comment

Originally posted by Hanson77";p="
                If the corners are rolled......it's acrylic.  I would just take a look at the seals in the corners and bottom and make sure everything has a good bead of silicone all the way around.  It seems like a good deal.
                I had always thought that also till the one I saw had rolled corners and was glass.
                Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks!

Comment

I know that the 160 Odyssea tank has or at the very least had seal issues. The seal would blow out at the curveature in the right and or left front corners of the tanks. I don't know if this has been fixed, but as of this time last year it was a major deal. I know that Mike had sold several, and each one came back at least twice. Another issue was in the way the glass was heated to form the bends caused it to stress fracture easily. Again, I don't know if this was ever resolved.
                  Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Thanks, Scott...  Now I'm sorry I asked.  

When you say that Mike has sold several, which Mike do you speak of.  I'm new here and don't know all the members.

Thanks again,
                    Richard
                    neuendri

Comment

Mike is a guy who owns/owned an LFS which is in the process of moving to a new location. The most recent thread is here:

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for all the good info.  Please keep it coming...

Mike, if you're around, I pm'ed you.

Thanks again,
                        Richard
                        neuendri

Comment

Re: Are Jebo/Odyssea aquariums good products?

I can't speak on behalf of their aquariums but a few years back when I worked at Ultimate Fish we had one customer say the ballast melted, then another one who had the whole fixture catch on fire. After that we stopped carrying their products.

But to each his own, I'd just stay away from the electrical side. Besides, who gets into this hobby to "save money"?

Comment

That last line should be framed somewhere......couldn't have said it better myself.  Every adventure that I tried to save money or cut corners has ended up probably costing me double with effort and time.

Comment

8)

Comment

Working...
                              X