Female Betta tank advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female Betta tank advice

I'm new here and wondering if anyone has any advice about female Betta community tanks? I have a 10 gallon tank that's been cycling for over a month. I had the water tested and it's perfect now. The tank is heavily planted with java fern, rotala and anubias plus some type of grass (not sure of the name), also some drift wood, slate and 2 algae shrimp . There lots of places for the bettas to hide and and an aquaclear 30 filter + coralife10,000K 15 watt florescent light. I have 7 females (all separated right now) waiting to go in. Is this too many?? Reading about the pecking order process they need to go through has made me a little nervous, I'm beginning to imagine a blood bath, lol. I have also heard you are supposed to add them all at once so no one can claim any territory first, but won't there be an ammonia spike if I do that?

any advice on this subject would be welcome...

Re: Female Betta tank advise

Should be no problems with only 7 in a 10g tank, but the shrimp have to go.  If you don't move them the bettas will eat them (and snails).
    As long as they have room to run and places to hide, the pecking order should not be a problem.
    Plakats (short finned males) are often mistaken for and sold as females, so after you release them, watch them carefully and make a note of their stripes and egg tubes.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Also with the tank being so heavily planted there is less to worry with ammonia spikes and such....make sure you have your lighting on a routine schedule and probably would want to go with at least 8hr photoperiod to keep the plants happy.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
        Should be no problems with only 7 in a 10g tank, but the shrimp have to go.  If you don't move them the bettas will eat them (and snails).
        As long as they have room to run and places to hide, the pecking order should not be a problem.
        Plakats (short finned males) are often mistaken for and sold as females, so after you release them, watch them carefully and make a note of their stripes and egg tubes.

Thanks for the advise and sorry for my delayed response, my internets been down for 4 days. (TVMAX is a sorry company to be stuck with)

The shrimps are actually slightly bigger than the Betta's, I'm OK with them being dinner as long as the Betta's clean their plate, hehe..

When you say only seven do you mean I could put more?

I've had all the Betta's for over a month and I'm positive they are all female, they all have an ovipositor tube and stripes. I did buy one Betta sold to me as a female from extreme fish and pets (I didn't say anything since females are always cheaper)  I am positive he is not a girl but he is the strangest looking Betta I've ever had, I'm posting some pics to see if anyone could tell me more about him (besides the fact he must be a plaket because of his short fins)

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
          Also with the tank being so heavily planted there is less to worry with ammonia spikes and such....make sure you have your lighting on a routine schedule and probably would want to go with at least 8hr photoperiod to keep the plants happy.
          Thanks for the advise.  You say at least 8 hours of light, should I leave it on longer than that?

Comment

You can if you want...how long are you leaving the lights on now? I usually average about 10 hours/day of light on my tanks.

P.S. I deleted the double post, and now I'm having problems seeing your pictures...  :?  I'm in the process of fixing it, sorry!  
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Bettas Paradice, Gourami and other Anabantids get O2 from the air they breathe and are not dependent on the O2 in the water, so the 1" per gallon rule does not really apply to them     That is why they can be shipped in a shotglass of water (just to keep them wet.   They can live in a small amount of water as long as it is clean but they don't do well when the water gets dirty.

I would love to see your betta but I get nothing from the attachments.
              Do you have a photo alblum ?
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Bettas and other Anabantids get O2 from the air they breathe and are not dependent on the O2 in the water, so the 1" per gallon doesnot really apply to them  

The photos were showing a few minutes ago but Mzungu screwed it all up (just kidding Mzungu, no worries), they are in the process of fixing it now...

How do I make a photo album?

Comment

Just click on the "Photo Gallery" link at the top of the page, and then click on "Your Album." You'll be able to add photos from there.  :)

I admit it, it was all me!  :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy";p="
                    Bettas and other Anabantids get O2 from the air they breathe and are not dependent on the O2 in the water, so the 1" per gallon doesnot really apply to them  

The photos were showing a few minutes ago but Mzungu screwed it all up (just kidding Mzungu, no worries), they are in the process of fixing it now...

How do I make a photo album?
                    OK, I made a photo album, take a look and tell me what you think...

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                      You can if you want...how long are you leaving the lights on now? I usually average about 10 hours/day of light on my tanks.

P.S. I deleted the double post, and now I'm having problems seeing your pictures...  :?  I'm in the process of fixing it, sorry!  
                      Hmmm, I sort of just turn it on when I wake up then turn it off when I go to sleep (which isn't always the same time) I guess I should get one of those timers to do it for me before I kill all my plants...  

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                        Just click on the "Photo Gallery" link at the top of the page, and then click on "Your Album." You'll be able to add photos from there.  :)

I admit it, it was all me!  :wink:
                        Look, I fixed it myself!  :P

Comment

8O  Wow, well, problem solved!  

Yeah, I would get a timer, just a cheap one. You probably won't kill all your plants if you don't have one, but it's nice to have one less variable to worry about.  :)

Comment

Interesting little betta.
                            The long pectorial fins are a pretty good indicator that he is from Plakat (short finned fighters) stock.   Plakats are noted for their sturdiness and width of their fins and because the long fin gene is dominant many breeders cross back to the plakats to get a more sturdy fish.  Every so often spawns will throw a few short fined fry.
                            His color is also special.  If he was just green & white or just black & white, he would be called a Marble,  But having three colors is called "Fancy" and very popular with the Asian Breeders/keepers.
                            The IBC would place him in Division "E2" Multicolored Single Tail male.
                            The closed fins are an indication that he is not happy, so make an extra effort to feed him well and change his water every week.

Comment

Working...
                            X