Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Sand washer

As requested by rrocket2002..

Not sure if there is any DIY's on here about this or anywhere else, but decided to try this out to wash my sand on a larger scale than a 5 gallon bucket and a hose.

Put together a little PVC piping and hose connections so I could get the water to flow from the bottom to actually float the crap out instead of using the hose to just stir it up.  What do you think of it?

I was washing about 50 gallons at a time rinsed it about 4 times each and did 300#'s total.  Worked pretty good,  and really didn't lose to much sand either.  Let it fill up to the top and run over for a minute or so, and then dumped it.  Agitated it by sticking my hands in there and stirring it up manually, but a tee in the main hose would work better to have another hose on hand to agitate it a bit more.

I lost the most sand when I transfered it to 5 gal buckets to take it to the tank and give it one last rinse.

I have no money in the setup because I had all of the parts,  but it could be easily put together for $5-10 for the pvc and brass adaptor.  

Re: DIY Sand washer

you can get a similar effect with an old ug filter,  you just have to make an adapter to connect the hose.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Ok... :?

Comment

Well,  I think its cool!

Great idea!  :idea:
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

Wow, I could have sworn I replied to your post! I think it's a great contraption!
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

i only wish i had it the other day while washing my reef sand.....good idea....thanks for sharing....

Comment

ROH,

Nice DIY application and thanks for sharing. I wish I would have thought of it back when I was rinsing endless bags of Flourite.

To help save on water and sand sticking to the sides of the trash can all you need is a spigot 1/3 to 1/2 up the bin.... Then again that measure of effort would require you are rinsing sand on a regular basis.

Best regards,

William

Comment

I suggested something similar on the DallasFishBox thread.  You could have a overflow directed through tubing or hose to a flowerbed or ditch.  Another idea is to us a rubbermaid receptacle half the size...

Raul
                Raul
                PokerFace

Comment

Working...
                X