Starting a tropheus tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a tropheus tank

after seeing so many nice pictures here and other places i decided the next tank will be for tropheus but kinda limited on space. i was wondering how many can i keep comfortably in a 75g, the tank will have a wet/dry with a ~600-800gph pump, and maybe a rena filstar xp3. i will be using argonite or some sort of sand in this tank.

i will probably move 6 of the 10 clown loaches i have over to this tank as well to help keep the mess in order and maybe a few shelldwellers to keep it intresting. im thinking ilangi or chimba reds something colorful.

so how many?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Re: Starting a tropheus tank

do i have to be a member to get an opinion?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

In a 4' 75 gallon tank I would not have more than 14-17 adults.

You really should never have less than 12 adults.  

On pretty much all Tropheus variants trio's (1M2F) are the best combination. If you go with a brichardi group, I would go with (1m5f)

The brichardi are a bit more agressive than the other variants.

IF your wanting Chimba Reds I know someone who is looking to sell his group of them if your interested.

You never have to be a member of this to get an opinon, I guess you just caught most on a off weekend is all.

Any other questions, please ask...

Take care,

Geoff
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

thanks!!

i have been contacted about a colony of chimba's and could possibly be the same person but i have yet to set up the tank.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

not much traffic through here huh.. i guess there arent that many tropheus keepers here on HFB.

anyways i have found the tank i will be using for the trophs which is a 90gal, basically a 75gal footprint but taller. i have settled on getting illangi's over ndoles or chimbas.

anyone have leads to where i can get some illangi's that are either wc or around 3" it would be great!

the tank is going to be sumped and maybe a canister filter to aid the wet/dry and i will be using eco-complete cichlid substrate. probably find some holey rock for this tank and pull some of the petrified wood from my frontosa tank. i got some bolbitis not too long ago and its growing quite well so those plants might make it into the trophs tank as well.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

tank will be here later today!!!! ended up with a 125g so i think im gonna shoot for 35 ilangi's in this tank.

ended up with a ~40g wet/dry rated for a 300g, dual overflow, 1200gph MD return pump, eheim 2228 and 165w of pc lighting! think im gonna ad more lighting to try and plant this tank but for now it will do.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Sounds nice EK.  Pics of your tank....start to finish would be nice.  Sounds like it wil be a nice setup.
              Raul
              PokerFace

Comment

Definitely, if you can post the setup I'd love to see it, too.  8) If you do plant it, are you going to use random plants you like, or try to stick with a semi-biotope?
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

im gonna try and go with biotope mzungu! will make this my little journal
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Great!

I had "receptionist duty" today for an hour, so I was looking around for endemic Tanganyikan plants, and found a good summary of what's there, if you haven't seen it before.

Don't know if many of those are actually available, but thought I'd share that list!  :)

Comment

hey thanks!

i found a thread that HFB started over at apc with a list of what a member has tried which would help along with your list to see what works. kind of a pain since the tropheus are herbivores so i have to figure out what works in the tank, whats correct for the biotope and wont be eaten.

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Oh yeah, I've seen that somewhere! He really did a detailed log of every single plant he's tried to keep, successful or not. Pretty impressive!

Tell me about it. I've got a tank with Red-Eye Tetras, and I've been trying for a couple years to find what plants they won't eat! That list he posted should really, really help.  8)

Comment

just wanted to show some pictures of it all set up.

gonna wait till i get some holey rock in there and my eco-complete cichlid substrate and in the water goes.

55w x 3 pc lighting that will probably be coupled with more lighting for the plants

wet/dry with dual overflow and dual outputs coupled with a eheim professional 2228

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Nice..... 8O
                            Raul
                            PokerFace

Comment

thanks for the comments everyone!

i have found my ilangi's and in the quantity i want but i havent watered the tank yet so this means i might have to test my luck with bio-spira and seeding the whole tank with the filstar xp3 from my other tank.  8O

hopefully the seller will hold the fish for a month or so for me but if not i will have to put it to the test.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X