Bought my first betta - Buster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought my first betta - Buster!

He is a very deep blue, almost purple. He seems to be enjoying the tank, and he isn't aggressive at all.

Someone on this board recommended taking a black tipped pen and touching the side of the bowl to see if they flare - if they do they are aggressive. Well, this guy isn't. He is co-exisiting with the community and exploring the tank.

His face looks like a bulldog so that is a Buster to me! Full name is Buster Blue Velvet!  

I hope he stays this docile, but if he doesn't I have a fish bowl ready for him, and a grandson who would like a fishie!

Re: Bought my first betta - Buster!

Sometimes the pet store bettas are big & old & past their prime.

If you hold a compact mirror up to the tank he should show off for you.

Watch out for the tank bully - they will sneak up behind the betta and nip his fins.  
    If it gets too bad move him to isolation and treat him with bettafix (tea tree oil)
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

The tank bully has been banished to the 2.5g in the bedroom. Everyone else is very mellow.

Phish - he must be past his prime because the mirror didn't even phase him. He looked but didn't show much reaction. Even so he is perfect for this tank. I needed a docile betta. I got him at Village, if that makes a difference.

Comment

Well, come to find out he is docile when you are in the room, but I found out he has been harassing the guppies. I went to feed them and he raced up and attacked a guppy, then turned and chased off another one. One of the males has been hiding, to the point I thought he was a goner.

So now I have a quandry. Buster has been banished to the 2.5 tank (the other bullies are gone) and is in conditioned tap water, with no filter. I do have an air pump in there but I only run it if I need to. I really wanted to use that tank for the guppies, but I can't get it cycled for them with him in there. I had a whisper power filter, and when I put him in the tank within a minute or two he got sucked up to the filter, so that's out of there.

I'd like to get Buster back in the big tank, and get the guppies in the little one. Any practical suggestions as to how I get this done?

Comment

maybe try putting him in the guppy tank with a female betta

Comment

The guppies are in the big tank - he is in the small tank. If I got a female betta and put all of them together in the big tank would that work?

Comment

that's what I would do but you probably need to get some more opinions

Comment

I don't understand. Why add a female betta?
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                  I don't understand. Why add a female betta?
                  females can be very distracting  :wink:

Comment

but seriously, he would prolly start focusing his attentions on the female and start to occupy his time building a bubble nest, etc

I used to keep a betta pair several years ago with other fish no problem

Comment

Hmm...So, what you're asking is how to move them? Maybe I'm totally missing the question here. (just ate lunch, full and tired  :)  ) How many guppies do you have again? I'd capture the guppies (maybe put them in the breeder box you have), net out the betta, transfer him to the big tank, and then pour the breeder box into the 2.5? Does the smaller tank have similar water to the 55?

Comment

I might try that. I just need to keep him off the guppies backs until I can get the guppies out of there.

He may be "in the mood" because when I isolated him he started to build a bubble nest.

Comment

How large was the tank, Philistine? I know that some bettas can be absolutely brutal to a female if she's not ready to breed and there's not enough space... But yes, she would be distracting!

Comment

Thats the problem MB - the little tank isn't ready for guppies. And the breeder box I have is made to float in a tank - it won't hold water on it's own. I thought it wouldn't be a problem because I had a fish bowl for Buster, but I must have given it away.  :(

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                              How large was the tank, Philistine? I know that some bettas can be absolutely brutal to a female if she's not ready to breed and there's not enough space... But yes, she would be distracting!
                              it was a 20H or 20L (or 29) I can't remember - it was like 30 years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X