Help! (too agressive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! (too agressive)

This is one of the most frusterating thing! Smile The Mustard gas couple is waaaayyy too agressive. He is ATTACKING the female to the point where the female actually jumped onto my hiding place (a circle peice of styrofome that has yarn sinking down in the water.)for her. He is jumping at her. I feel really bad for her. Is it best I seperate these couple and keep him for a pet instead of a breeder? I really really need some help as quick as I can to tell me what I need to do.

Thanks!

Re: Help! (too agressive)

Are you trying to breed them or just keep them in the same tank together? I bred bettas for about a year and never had a pair that would just live together.

If you are trying to breed them, have you kept her in his tank but seperated from him until they are both ready? It sounds like (1) he isn't ready for her to see his nest or (2) like she isn't ready to mate and is frustrating him. I would put her back into isolation where he can see her and she can see him until they're both showing signs of being ready to mate. If she's torn up, wait for her to heal some before trying to breed them again.

HTH,
    Ellen

Comment

He had a bubble nest about a third of the cup (the cup used for him to keep his bubbles) and it has been more than 24 hours since they have been together. I assumed they were ready and put them together. I can see her stomach and I can see teh swollen egg sack. Any suggestions?

Comment

Did she have dark vertical bars? Was she standing still and with her head down when he came by to check her out? Was he paying more attention to her or the bubble nest?

When my betta males were ready, they would start paying lots more attention to her than to the nest. He would swim back and forth like he was trying to get her to follow him. When my females were ready, they would stand on their heads with the vertical stripes.

If everything I described happened, then I would give them a break and try again tomorrow.

How big is the tank you have them in?

Ellen

Comment

No, I do not see stripes yet, but her stomach is big. She didn't have her head down. When they were seperated the male would go to her, flare out, then swim back to his nest (which is now destroyed :() The tank is about a 2 gal, but I went over to a houston betta breeder and I am using the same size tank as him (it's actually a plastic box). They are seperated right now, is first priority the male rebuilding the bubble nest?

Comment

A 2 gallon may be big enough under normal circumstances but will an overly aggressive (frustrated) male you need to give her much more room to run and more hiding places.

For now,  I would separate the female and let her recover.   I use bettamax (tea tree oil) to help the fins heal.

If you have another female you can try again with her while the first one heals.  But you best bet is to give them a few weeks to chill out ahd then try again.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
            X