Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Just wanted to introduce myself....

I just joined up. I have been on various national and international forums, but I have found it more helpful with my other interests to be involved in more localized forums. So here I am...

I got back into the hobby about 2 years ago. I used to do it with my dad, and now my oldest son (now 4) got me back into it. I should say he provided the leverage over my wife to let me back into it!

So we started with a 7g, then a 12g, and then right into a 150g...followed by 2 10gs!

The 7g has a colony of cherry red shrimp, the 12 g is in my son's room with guppies and cherry red shrimp. One 10g is here in the study with an inherited goldfish, the other is in the kitche and is a breeding tank with a ton of danio fry in it.

Now, the 150g: its a community with small peaceful fish in it (tetras, barbs, danios, indian glass fish) a big plec, some cory's and oto's, also bamboo, glass (ghost) and amano shrimp and a big (10") blue Cherx Q. crayfish.

BTW...what do i do with 100 zebra danios??? Some friends want some, but will my LFS take any from me?
    Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Re: Hello!

Welcome. Its good to get some young people unplugged from the TV and involved in the hobby. I am mostly a guppy guy but I have some other fish as well. So how much are you asking for 100 zebra danios? I have one of two blue longfin danios left but they never had any young. What is the secret?

max

Comment

Welcome Russ, what part of town are you in? I ask because we have a club now conveniently located for all of us north siders. LHA is located in Huffman and we are always looking for new blood. As I'm sure Max will testify, we are a pretty good group with no bigger ambitions than having a good BS session and maybe try our hand at a DIY project or 2. We are still a new club with this being only our 3rd month, but interest levels seem high, and the people who have turned out seem to really like the format. If you live in our area and would like to know more, please feel free to contact either myself or Max and we would be glad to fill you in.
      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

welcome,

where do you stay at?  would love to see your 150 community tank, maybe even take some zebras off your hands.

i live in 1960 / Jones Rd. area.

Comment

Hi all!

I am close to Bear Creek, Eldridge/Tanner.

I will definitely be looking to move some (most!) of my danios on. Right now they are only 2mm long, so we will wait till they get a bit bigger.

The secret? It was very easy. I set up the 10g with a big layer of 1" round pebbles (it says marbles in the books but they are EXPENSIVE!). I also put in some plastic plants, and a square of that plastic breeder grass. Then I put in a small home made sponge filter (really easy to make) a small heater. I filled the tank to 75% full, using half water from the community and half from the tap.Then i took some slime from my community filter and smeared it on the sponge in the breeder. I left it for a week. In the menatime I was watching the Danios. The females were chubby and the skinnier males were hyperactive. I fed them good varied food for a few days, then scooped them out and in to the breeder.

Now I thought as scatterers they would just drop the eggs and milt to fall into the substrate. Actually they kind of dive into the breeder grass and between the rocks, wriggle and then swim off. I wasn't 100% that this was egg laying till later. I let them alone for  few days, each day taking out a pint of water abd dropping a pint of cooler water in (simulates rain apparently), then sccoped them out and back into the community (all 15 of them). After 2 days I could see fry hanging off the glass, 20 or so, then more and more and more...I must have 200 free swimming right now, and still more hatching!

I think Huffman may be a bit too far for me!! Semper - you are closer. In fact you are real close to my other hobby, my part time business: www.hsarc.net which is just up the street from you.

I am so glad I found you guys. I have done everything with so little outside contact, and it would be good to swap ideas and tips and tricks with others. Also to be able to sell/buy/swap/trade stuff would be cool too!
          Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Now that's irony, I have been looking at building my own track. I have drawn out several track plans and have a stack of press wood sitting outside the garage. Only problem I have is trying to figure out how to keep the board from warping in the high humidity garage/fish room. Well, that and trying to figure out how to get the wife to let me do fish/trains/ and now slot cars too.
            Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Use MDF, painted well both sides!

Its having kids that allows me to do all of my hobbies! I keep them involved in what I do...Well, I say them, but I have 2 boys, 4 y.o and 1 y.o., so the older one does fish stuff with me, and comes to the race car shop at weekends. Now the miracle is not the slot cars, or the rapid expansion from one 7g to 150g, 12g, 10g, 10g, 7g...no the miracle is how I managed to keep my vette!!!
              Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Hammer, swung. Nerve, hit. You should write a book.

Wife-Kids-Toys: How to keep 'em all!

Comment

That's cool I was doing the danios all wrong. Thank you.

max

Comment

Allow me to be the first to say, I don't think I like Russ very much. Never could stand anyone who could have his cake and eat it too. Toys, hobbies and a wife with blinders on, just color me green right now.

Comment

Careful Scott you could end up in the soup, lol.

max

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTT";p="
                        Allow me to be the first to say, I don't think I like Russ very much. Never could stand anyone who could have his cake and eat it too. Toys, hobbies and a wife with blinders on, just color me green right now.
                        It isn't all roses here! :?
                        Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Well sometimes we get the flowers and sometimes we get the green thorny part. What do you think about going fishing with us?

max

Comment

Fishing? 8O
                            Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

The LHA is thinking about going fishing for plecostomus in the Houston bayous ( collecting ). We are talking about it under plecostomus in ponds. We don't exactly know where so when is out of the question for a while. lol

max

Comment

Working...
                              X