freshwater stingrays.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: freshwater stingrays.

i saw one recently at Extreme Pets off Bellaire near Alief.  It was a freshwater one.
    180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

I would love to have one with my discus.
      I know people that keep motto stingrays with discus.

Walter
      Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
      Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
      Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I was reading a site the other day about discus and it said something about the people who collect wild discus in S.A. being more affraid of the stingrays in the water than the piranha.
        Smokin_Cache
        Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
        Lets see what the imagination fruits.
        Check out my last tank

Comment

The only legal stingray in texas is the FRESHWATER ATLANTIC STINGRAY found in florida...the reason most pet stores dont want to carry them is the fear of being shipped the wrong one (because its hard to tell them apart) and get the wildlife and gameing comission on them...believe me, if its illegal..a pet shop wont have it displayed..from my expierences with other shops (no names) haha.. they would hide it somewhere..
          Resident BUM !!!

Comment

I'm going to put a arowana in my 135g and if I can find 1, atlantic stingray.  I wouldn't want a stingray or piranha in a discus tank. Never dealt with stingrays but I have dealt with 2 species of piranha when I went up north for a couple months. Most piranhas are skittish and don't like the light. Even tho they are skittish they will kill almost anything in the tank. Some are solitary. The least aggresive are the tank raised red bellies. Don't beleive what you see in the movies about piranhas. I clean the tanks several times and they only lunged at me once. I was quick to pull out my hand. When I was up there I saw tanks with cichlids and red belly piranhas. Some cichlids got killed but some were left alone. They wouldn't bother the oscar but with other species i saw the oscar loose all its fins

Comment

Ive seen those rays listed generically as 'Florida Stingray.' Though Ive seen some that got caught out of Galveston (not Yellow Stingray) and wonder if these are the same 'florida rays.'
              - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

Originally posted by a_Vertigo_Guy";p="
                Ive seen those rays listed generically as 'Florida Stingray.' Though Ive seen some that got caught out of Galveston (not Yellow Stingray) and wonder if these are the same 'florida rays.'
                Galveston rays are of course saltwater, and perfectly legal for home aquaria. If they're released into the wild, well, they'd just go back home and have a barbecue, or whatever it is they do for fun. Freshwater stingrays are the ones to worry about; if released into our river systems, then can wreak havoc on the wildlife, wiping out entire species directly or indirectly. That's why most snakeheads, and many S. Am. cichlid species are considered illegal in Texas - most of them can survive in our waters.

Comment

Are motoro and leopoldi that virilent to our natives?
                  - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

im not sure whether they are or not, but a very good example of what happens with no control and lack law keeping would be to take a look at florida. they have wild free breeding populations of green iquanas, burmese pythons, and specktacled caimans, which came from pets being let loose. and now they are causing problems with wildlife to no end. also in their waterways oscars are becoming almost as common as perch in certain areas. i dont know about you but i would rather look at a fish in a book than have it appeare on my fishing line when i am fishing for bass. i know someone personally  who thought it was nice to release some of her south americans into a pond. bad for the fish and for texas.
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President
                    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

They are Florida rays they are a brackish fish therefore can go back and forth from salt to fresh but they function much better in salt and will not last near as long in a freshwater system

Comment

Yikes, that would really sting!!!

Mike

Originally posted by semper View Post
                        stingrays are illegal in texas , you can get fined up to $5,000 per stingray

Comment

I believe asain rays are legal.

Comment

Working...
                          X