Reliable heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliable heater?

I wondered if yall could give me some insight on your choice of heaters. I know some of you don't use them, but I do. I need some recommendations, please?
    180g - 2 Red Oscars, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 JD, Convicts, convicts & more convicts
    75g - 1 Silver Aro, 1 Mean Koi Angel
    50g - Various platy & mollies
    10g - 1 Green Spotted Puffer

I like the eheim/jager or aqueon pro.
    30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

I've been wondering the same thing and doing a lot of Googling. It seems like the Eheim Jagers earn the most recommendations / fewest complaints of the submersible types.

The Hydor ETH in-line heater looks really interesting if you don't want an ugly heater in your tank, assuming you also have a canister filter. If your canister uses corrugated hoses (Fluval) you'll need to replace a few with regular tubing. I'm not sure how long these have been around; a lot of folks seem to like them but I haven't been able to ascertain how reliable they are.
      I went off the deep end

Comment

Aqueon Pro blends nicely with a black background.
        30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

I myself prefer Eheim/Jager, but some of my smaller nanos require some very oddball ones to make certain they fit and are adjustable. I had to find one for a 2 gallon bowfront that fit and could be adjusted and finally ordered it online. It works well, just can't remember the maker. The flaw of deciding on a small Sulawesi tank and remembering they like 80-82 degree water...
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

As already mentioned, Eheim Jager and Aqueon pro. I, myself, am planning to buy a Eheim Jager from Drsfostersmith since they are having their summer sale and they are being discounted. 300watt heater for $22! There's also titanium heaters which are much more accurate than most heaters but cost much more. The cheaper titanium ones are around $40 but the better ones can run you up to $100+ depending on wattage. Also as mentioned, if you are running a canister and don't like the look of a heater inside the tank, in-line heaters are another option and can also get a bit pricey based of wattage. I have a wet/dry filter so, my heaters go in there and aren't visible in the actual tank.

Comment

EK is also selling some Marineland Stealth heaters for only $5 here! They're nice and blend into your background (if you have black).

Comment

I like the Ti heaters, WON/Finnex/JBJ.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

+1 for Eheim/Jager and titanium heaters. I have two ViaAqua Titanium heaters with the external controllers and like them because they fit very neatly in the wet/dry with the controller mounted wherever you want. Same goes for the Finnex/JBJ Titanium heaters that EK mentioned.

I've had a Fluval M300 for a long time without problems, but I've read some bad reviews on them.
                  http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                    I like the Ti heaters, WON/Finnex/JBJ.
                    +1 JBJ w/ controller could get a bit pricey though

Comment

Thanks guys. I have a heater in my sump on the 180 but that's the only one hidden. The fact that they're not hidden doesn't bother me. With everything else in my life as a whole, a heater showing is like saying the laundry still needs to be folded... I'm over it, lol. Every tank I have, minus 2 (the fry & the GSPs), have a canister & an HOB but I'd rather use the sumbersible heaters.

Mistahoo, can you repost the thread or bump it so I can get in on the heater sale? I'd find it myself but can't remember the title. I need to know how much of a heater I need for the tanks I have to be able to heat them properly. Got some research to do. I didn't inquire about the heaters Q has cuz I hadn't asked yall what I needed to ask yet, hence this post. As always, yall are more than helpful & I appreciate your insight & input!

Oh, and before I forget.... Q? It was nice meeting you today. Thanks again!

Comment

Comment

I meant the one for the heaters you're gonna order, lol.

Comment

I love wet/dry cause of this! You can stuff whatever you want in there.

I've used a bunch and as far as quality/reliability...

EBO/Jagger - they work, solid heaters, dials are worth a FFFF though cause you can never get them right but that doesn't matter.
                            Aqueon Pro - LOVE that there is a light to show the heater has power as well as when it is actually on! Solid, No glass to break and reasonable. also being black it hides better.
                            Ti - BEAST, No glass to break, no crevice to leak electricity(or no joints like normal heaters), remote mounted controls so it's easier to adjust, separate temp sensor and usually much stronger than the others.
                            Stealth - I like them, they work, cheap, never had any problems, black so it hides better.
                            VisaTherm - don't know if they still exist but I used these for the longest with zero problems.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It was nice meeting you as well!
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X