Puffer dentistry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer dentistry

I think I'm going to have to clip one of our bronze puffers teeth.  His teeth have always been a problem, but now it's starting to worry me.  Anyone ever done this?  I found an article on exactly what to do, but I'm really nervous about the anesthesia part.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Re: Puffer dentistry

why would you have to clip his teeth i never heard of that.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

If not fed a good amount of snails to keep the teeth at manageable length the two front teeth will out grow itself and then dig into the lower jaw which will keep it from eating properly and eventually cause death.

Most of your larger puffers need this done.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well, in our case, the puffer has a large gap between the two teeth.  I think this contributes to the problem, but irregardless, he used to enjoy snails.  But at some point, he just decided he didn't want them anymore.  Even before his teeth really grew out.  

I've tried snails of all different sizes.
        I've tried dried krill.
        I've tried shrimp - both freeze-dried and fresh with shell.
        I've tried feeders.
        I've even tried biting the medium sized Cichlid Excel pellets into smaller pieces so he could crunch on those (Yes, I put fish food in my mouth, but it had to be done.)  Now he's figured out that if he waits, they will get soft and he eats them then.

The only thing he still eats is frozen bloodworms...he sucks them in between the gap in his teeth.

So, anyone ever use Finquel to sedate a fish before?
        Our Fishhouse

Comment

can you link the site on how to do this? I'm courious. fish are tough. ask any fisherman. you can do it!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Here ya go!

Our Fishhouse

Comment

wow.....that's amazing.....it would scare me to death to see my puffers belly up like that....but then again it's a neccessary evil i guess....
              keep us updated Tracy.......
              and good luck.....i hope all turns out well for your baby......

Comment

Me too!  That's why I'm trying to see if anyone has actually done it.  I'm reading all I can about Finquel, that's the scariest part to me too.
                Our Fishhouse

Comment

imagirlgeek,
                  my figure 8 puffer startedgetting a swelling on his bottom lip yesterday do you think it might be his teeth??
                  im worried because he didnt want to eat and he is a big eater, he is about 3".. thanks

jose

Comment

Originally posted by JGUERRA";p="
                    imagirlgeek,
                    my figure 8 puffer startedgetting a swelling on his bottom lip yesterday do you think it might be his teeth??
                    im worried because he didnt want to eat and he is a big eater, he is about 3".. thanks

jose
                    Do his teeth look overgrown?  If they are, I would bet it's the same problem.  Do you have a picture of his face so we can see his teeth?
                    Our Fishhouse

Comment

That's crazy stuff..I freaked out when I had to try to re-adjust one of my Petro's jaws...

I dont think I could do this.
                      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Good Luck - I hope the procedure goes well for you and your puffer....I know you can do Tracy.

CF
                        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I just placed the order for Finquel and should have it in 3 days.  Well, 3 days by UPS standards, so probably mid-next week.  I'll post back with any positive (or God forbid, negative) experience.  

In the meantime, would still like to know if anyone has any experience with it.  :)
                          Our Fishhouse

Comment

Originally posted by imagirlgeek";p="
                            Originally posted by JGUERRA";p="
                            imagirlgeek,

jose
                            Do his teeth look overgrown?  If they are, I would bet it's the same problem.  Do you have a picture of his face so we can see his teeth?
                            his bottom lip looks like a puffy white color.. and his body color turned very dark brown almost a black.. im at work but when i get home ill try to post up some pics,

Comment

Check his belly too.  If it's not white, there's something else wrong.  A white belly is always a sign of good health with puffers.
                              Our Fishhouse

Comment

Working...
                              X