Guppies Are in Brackish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guppies Are in Brackish

Tonight I moved the guppies back into the 10gal and I will now start transitioning them into brackish. One of the males didn't even make it to the 10gal before he died. I put 1/4tsp of marine salt in a cup of aquarium water and let it sit for awhile and poured only a little of the water into the 10gal. I'll get the hydrometer out tomorrow. I know to go real slow on the move to brackish.

I know there are people on here that only use aquarium salt and their guppies seem to do fine but I've read of a number of cases where it seemed like peoples guppies were better, but only for a short while. I dunno, since Neale Monks speaks so positive about guppies in brackish that's what I've decided to try.

Let us know how that works out. I'm thinking going brackish will be more work for you.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I'll keep ya'll updated, at least I have a "little" hope now. I've spent hours tracking down posts by Neale Monks. He knows I've been thinking about trying this but we've not really discussed it yet. They made it through the night and seem to be real happy, eating well and playing. Of course that's how they've been all along any way. I get up and see them acting all happy, come home from work and some one is dead. Neale says these fancy guppies are just really weak, which is what I thought when I started having so much trouble with such an "easy" fish. Leave it up to the "big breeders" to ruin something.

Originally posted by ptran View Post
      Let us know how that works out. I'm thinking going brackish will be more work for you.

Comment

Oh, and I think brackish is easy to do. The first time I tried it, it seemed overwhleming until I got the hang of it and confident about what I was doing.

Comment

Make sure to keep an eye on the tank parameters when you are transitioning to brackish. The tank will try to recycle all over again.
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community

Comment

It can't exactly go any worse...:icon_hang:

Comment

If you need any cycled brackish media, I can always pull some out of my 240 system to get you stable and going.
              ~ Katie Brueggen

Comment

That's super nice of you! I wish you lived closer to me.

Originally posted by kv9tb View Post
                If you need any cycled brackish media, I can always pull some out of my 240 system to get you stable and going.

Comment

I'm coming over tomorrow...

Originally posted by JCrizz View Post
                  It can't exactly go any worse...:icon_hang:

Comment

Yeah, I'm going SUPER slow. It's taken days for me to get 1/2tsp of marine salt in there. Added some new guys and spent hours slow dripping. The female is swimming around but the boys are all hudled in the corner with their noses at the top of the water. I just jave a small whisper filter on there so I'm wondering if I should get another air pump tomorrow. Or maybe just move a larger filter to that 10gal. Wonder how many of them will be dead in the morning. Darn guppies!! Lost one of Crizz's girls today. I swear one day they're swimming, playing, eating, and the next day they just drop dead. NEVER dealt with any thing like this.

Make sure to keep an eye on the tank parameters when you are transitioning to brackish. The tank will try to recycle all over again.

Comment

Found a great Q & A by my hero Neale Monks. It appears that since I'm going to be on the really low end of brackish that I might not need to be so concerned about my bacteria. I remember when I converted the 30gal from FW to brackish for my GSP that I did it super slow and never had any problems with parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
                        Yeah, I'm going SUPER slow. It's taken days for me to get 1/2tsp of marine salt in there. Added some new guys and spent hours slow dripping. The female is swimming around but the boys are all hudled in the corner with their noses at the top of the water. I just jave a small whisper filter on there so I'm wondering if I should get another air pump tomorrow. Or maybe just move a larger filter to that 10gal. Wonder how many of them will be dead in the morning. Darn guppies!! Lost one of Crizz's girls today. I swear one day they're swimming, playing, eating, and the next day they just drop dead. NEVER dealt with any thing like this.
                        Is it possible to ban her from all the local fish and animal stores?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

You keep taking me!

Comment

Just her luck with guppies [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            020G Leulepi grow-out
                            030G Leulepi breeder
                            030G SRD FlowerHorn
                            090G Tangs community
                            100G Tangs community

Comment

I swear Crizz and I went out on Sunday and I brought some home from petsmart, slow dripped for about 2hrs, put them in the tank and in about 5hrs the girl laid down and died. BUT, and it's a big BUT, not BUTT, when I put her in the tank I noticed she was bleeding on her side. She either got hurt while being caught and bagged, or maybe one of those evil boys did something to her. And she was a really pretty girl. Prettier than most. The boys appear to be doing great. For now.

Someone on here should give me some impossible to maintain fish. They would probably be a breeze compared to these darn guppies.lol

Can't wait to set up my 20gal death chamber. It will be gorgeous until they all decide to drop dead, one by one. Then maybe I'll give up.

Just her luck with guppies [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X