What is on his head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is on his head?

Noticed this on my betta the other day. Cant be certain but it looks like its getting bigger. Hes in a tank by himself, so not any kind of battle scar. Tank is heated and filtered and kept around 79 degrees.

Thanks for looking and any help you can give.

Sorry about quality, my phone isnt playing nice with my tank.

IMG_6980.jpgIMG_6981.jpg

Looks like a wound of some type, which is just fungused a bit. He might have accidentally wedged himself under/into a sharp rock area seeking a bit of food. I would recommend a solid water change (50%) just to be sure the Nitrates are down and possibly adding some Melafix/Pimafix which are good general abrasion medications for any skin issues. Most likely it will heal in a week or two on its own, but to be sure this would be my recommendation moving forward.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

agree with above reply. probably a scrape that became infected.

i would try using both melafix and pimafix together as suggested. the combo treatment will cover a wide variety of bacterial infections. i think its a week long treatment. just remove the carbon from your filter and follow instructions on the bottle after the water cahnge

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
        Looks like a wound of some type, which is just fungused a bit. He might have accidentally wedged himself under/into a sharp rock area seeking a bit of food. I would recommend a solid water change (50%) just to be sure the Nitrates are down and possibly adding some Melafix/Pimafix which are good general abrasion medications for any skin issues. Most likely it will heal in a week or two on its own, but to be sure this would be my recommendation moving forward.
        Agree.
        Also I noticed your rock work and sand if any of those things are bumping up the pH and also causing scrapes or cuts, you may find repeat episodes.
        Emerald Green Rainbowfish
        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Thanks guys. I will follow the course of action suggested.

Ph is 7.2, which is pretty well on par from what Ive read.

Thanks again. Will begin treatment this week.

Comment

Did the water change, wanted to see how that went before adding any medicine. Its almost entirely gone. I will wait it out and see if it goes away without the meds. Don't want to unnecessarily dose him.

Thanks again

Comment

glad to hear things are looking better. generally those scrapes do heal up over time with the water changes and very clean conditions. the melafix and pimafix are the most gentle antibiotic treatment, so those are usually step one beyond water changes

Comment

Working...
              X