Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first try

Going to try my hand at this for the first tome any advice

Larger aquarium sizes (largest you can get, I've seen folks be quite successful with outdoor tubs even), Filtration (double or triple the tank volume, the more the better), Filter guards (foam blocks on all filter inlets, so fry are not sucked up), Plants or plastic plants, floaters (fry are predated on by parents, so the more hiding spots the better and plants have macroinverts growing to feed the young and suck up excess Nitrates a win, win in my eyes), With most species add a bit of aquarium salt (Many are from harder water areas or mildly brackish and it helps prevent issues) Try some harder species (the line bred ones are great to start with, but don't limit yourself to those alone. Like Swordtails? Try a native like Xiphophorus montezumae and know localities, keep lineage known and pure. Many are only kept alive in aquariums. Mistakes are easy, look into the San Marcos Gambusia. They mixed up Gambusia in a tank and now they are extinct.) Have fun (share your rewards of work with other hobbyists and build up interest in livebearers. The more LB enthusiasts in the area means more stuff you can trade back and forth. Keep up interest through pictures and threads on here, many are just waiting to see some fish they can't pass up.)

Good Luck and I'll be watching!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Thanks for the advice im starting with swordtails hopefully works out well

Comment

Very cool, what color are you going with? I am a die hard fan of the greens, but have seen some nice looking reds.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Its called a pineapple swordtail its yellow and red i hant seen any grees sounds nice

Comment

swordtails are a good starter for breeding. also things like mollies, platies and moons breed pretty readily.

roy gave good advice on setup. lots of hiding places is a must. you can also invest in a net breeder. once fry appear you can put them in there and separate them from the parents. keeps the fry in the same water which is a plus.

i havent really had any problems from 10 gal on up for fish like the ones mentioned. larger is better, but depends what you have space to get.

Comment

Agreed and its not hard to find larger tanks on here, just keep an eye out and if your willing to get a tank that might require a bit of work you can have a decently sized tank.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

Thsnks again to everyone and i have 55 gallon tank ( the biggest i could fit in my aapartment lol )

Comment

Working...
                X