20 Long reef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Long reef

I got really busy with work about 7 months ago and took down my 40 cube and regretted it everyday afterwards. So I decided to get back in and get a smaller tank going. So that's just what I did. I decided to go with a 20 long. Definitely wanted it to be an open top tank and I feel like the longer tanks look great opened up. So far it's doing great and doesn't look to shabby in my opinion so far. Really hoping to do a lot with it in the coming weeks by adding a lot more coral. Right now I just have my pulsing xenia, green tree coral, colt corals, blue Xenia, 2 frags of Zoanthids, Hawaiian feather duster, Green Tree Coral and an Orange tree sponge.

I have always been a big fan of clownfish and found what I think, is the most beautiful maroon I've ever seen. I could possibly be a bit bias, but feel that is completely unrelated to the truth.

When I got rid of my cube,I also got rid of my lighting, so right now it has a Coralife 130 watt Power compact over it. Not the best light but it will do until I decide if I want to go with AI SOL or some PAR 38's on goosenecks. At any rate, lots of stuff that I still have planned for the upcoming weeks/months. But this is it as of right now!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The last picture of the Colt Coral was fragged from the rock in the picture with the pulsing Xenia and other small colt. Also notice the shell below it that the Xenia had made their new home. Good thing the snail was no longer in it. That would of been a sight. I have been a member of HFB for about a year now, but haven't really posted anything other than items for sale. Going to try to become more involved and the first step and making this thread. Going to try to update it when I get new things and have progress pics!
    Last edited by Saltreefer07; 11-09-2013, 12:19 AM.
    “Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.”

Looks good

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Comment

Thanks! :) Hoping to make it look a lot better in the coming months.
      “Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.”

Comment

Can't wait for pics.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Comment

Got a RBTA put in the tank last night and it is doing pretty good. Hoping the clown will take to it, time will tell. Anybody have any opinions on UV sterilizers. I have one running right now, but don't know if it's really needed or not. I put it in to try to control a little algae problem I was having and to add a little more clarity to the water. I've tried looking up info on Pros/Cons but can never really find a definitive answer. Thanks guys! :)

image.jpg

Comment

I wouldn't run a UV all the time, it can be a good tool for certain situations such as when you have a parasite outbreak or algae issues. Also, with those lights your RBTA might not do too well. Make sure you feed at least once a week.

Comment

Thanks for the input! :) I'm going to be ordering my LED's soon. I'm thinking about putting my 150 watt metal halide over it until I decide which ones to go with. Just trying to figure out how to keep it cool because I don't want to have to get a chiller. The light I have now is about 4-5" above the water. I have a 65 watt 12k and 65 watt actinic in it now. So I think that should suffice for now given the depth of the tank is only about 13", and I have about a 2" sand bed.

Thinking about putting the UV on a timer to only run for about 1-2 hours a day or, might just use it as needed. So much to do and so little time I want it to take :) But, I have to remember the most important rule of this hobby. Patience. I just wish I had a little more!

Comment

Well guys I will no longer be in the nano section. I got the deal of a lifetime yesterday and picked up my new 90 Gallon RR tank yesterday....Did I mention everything was FREE!?!? I couldn't believe my ears when the guy told me to come and pick everything for free. Very excited to get this thing up and running. Came with about 200 pounds of live rock as well. Kept all the water in trash cans so it's going to be a pretty easy transition! :) Wish me luck!!

image.jpg
                Attached Files

Comment

congrats. that is awesome! what luck you have haha. get that thing up and running.

Comment

Where do you get that for free? Good score!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

My area has a local "garage sale" app, I posted an ad saying I was looking for cheap or free tanks. Guy saw it and told me to come pick it up. The only thing I had to do was tear it all down (which I gladly did). It was in pretty rough shape. It had let it go and Coraline had covered the front and had some alage. Spent the better part of last night cleaning it and scraping the glass. Here's a before picture of how the glass was. Boy was it a pain. But I really can't complain, it was free! Lol

image.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Everything is up and running. Water and rock in and lighting timers are all set! This things blue moons are SUPER impressive. Can't wait to fill it up with stock. Going to just go with FOWLR for right now. So the 20 long is for sale if anybody wants it. I have it posted over in the buy/trade/sell. Here's a pic with it all setup.

image.jpg

(Won't stop uploading sideways! )

Comment

What light are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

It's the Coralife Aqualight T5 Ho Lunar Fixture. Not a bad light at all.
                            I'm usually not a fan of the t5 fixtures but this thing really puts out some light! Will probably upgrade to LED's eventually. But since I'm doing a FOWLR tank, this is going to work just fine!

Comment

If you sell it, Im looking to buy a light fixture for my 90 gal bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X